PDA

View Full Version : How fast to Pacu Grow??

Mysticshadows3
08-30-2008, 9:12 PM
I need to know how fast my Pacu will grow, because I need to know how fast I will need to get the money together to buy a 300 gallon. It is 3 inches and is a 90 gallon - I can get the money around late 2009 or early 2010 - will I be okay until then???? PLEASE say yes.

and don't harp on me that I should have everything in set before a buy a fish that will grow big - that will make me very sad...like I am a bad parent :(

Peanut_Power
08-30-2008, 9:18 PM
Confused about which part of this thread has to do with Cichlids, so moved it to this forum for more 'refined' answers! ;)

Generally you want to buy the tank FIRST, then the fish. Don't put it off, get it ASAP. The pacu should be alright in the for six to eight months, MAYBE. You won't have much more time after that.

Not a bad parent per say, impatient perhaps...

frontosablkrhom
08-30-2008, 9:20 PM
itll grow like an inch a month maybe more and itll out grow you tank in like 8 months so ou should be good till then, what made you decide to buy a pacu then dedicate 300 gallons to him? id bring the pacu back and get a couple arowanas when you get your 300.

Mysticshadows3
08-30-2008, 9:27 PM
itll grow like an inch a month maybe more and itll out grow you tank in like 8 months so ou should be good till then, what made you decide to buy a pacu then dedicate 300 gallons to him? id bring the pacu back and get a couple arowanas when you get your 300.

Oh, well I was going to get a 300 anyway - and I have always loved Pacu...what is everybody's deal?? Does nobody think that they are absolutely adorable?? I thinks they are!!

Peanut_Power
08-30-2008, 9:41 PM
They are great fish when they are housed properly! They look better in groups too...;)

The main problem is a lot of people get fish that are outside of their means with plans of upgrading to larger tanks in the future. Most of the time this is done with the best of intentions, but in most cases only rarely becomes a reality.

Thats why its best to have the tank FIRST, then buy the fish for it. Saves you a lot of headache, and you owe it to the fish that you will be keeping as well. They have no choice as to where they are going to live the rest of their life or what conditions they will be in. Its your responsibility as a hobbyist to make sure you can provide the most optimal conditions possible.

Mysticshadows3
08-30-2008, 10:29 PM
They are great fish when they are housed properly! They look better in groups too...;)

The main problem is a lot of people get fish that are outside of their means with plans of upgrading to larger tanks in the future. Most of the time this is done with the best of intentions, but in most cases only rarely becomes a reality.

Thats why its best to have the tank FIRST, then buy the fish for it. Saves you a lot of headache, and you owe it to the fish that you will be keeping as well. They have no choice as to where they are going to live the rest of their life or what conditions they will be in. Its your responsibility as a hobbyist to make sure you can provide the most optimal conditions possible.

I'll show you photos of my new tank so you can sleep at night.

Peanut_Power
08-30-2008, 11:03 PM
There better be an MFK sticker on it or it might make me have nightmares...;)

arkmann
08-31-2008, 12:18 AM
It grows hella fast. It outgrew my 55 gallon in 6 months when I first got it at 1.5" It also eats absolutely anything that I fed it.

Better get that 300 first just like what peanut said.

gthiele
08-31-2008, 12:29 AM
earn money quicker

dragonfish
08-31-2008, 9:03 AM
Mine grew two inches a month til 12 inches and has slowed to an inch a month now. Will eat or try to eat anything that fits in its mouth.

Red Devil
08-31-2008, 11:32 AM
You could and should do okay as long as your plan actually stays on course. and you do not have a pacu that exceeds the usual growth... all are a little different... .but if things do not work out you should have a plan for that too, pacus are wonderful... lets see a pic of your baby.

Mysticshadows3
08-31-2008, 1:56 PM
You could and should do okay as long as your plan actually stays on course. and you do not have a pacu that exceeds the usual growth... all are a little different... .but if things do not work out you should have a plan for that too, pacus are wonderful... lets see a pic of your baby.

I'll post pics later - just wait for an update...he has already grown a little!

Red Devil
08-31-2008, 3:21 PM
I'll post pics later - just wait for an update...he has already grown a little!

i adore pacus... i miss mine that passed after my tank had a short in it and caused a fire.. pacus are the best!

Mysticshadows3
08-31-2008, 4:21 PM
i adore pacus... i miss mine that passed after my tank had a short in it and caused a fire.. pacus are the best!

Nobody on here likes Pacu. They are all like - get rid of it, or, why would you want to own a Pacu? Get rid of it!

No.

dragonfish
08-31-2008, 4:24 PM

Keep talking like that and you're going to end up with them again. I told you I'll be happy to ship mine to you.

Red Devil
08-31-2008, 4:39 PM
Keep talking like that and you're going to end up with them again. I told you I'll be happy to ship mine to you.

haha... i will always feel that way about them... especially when you raise it from a baby and it trusts you and smiles at you when you enter the room... and then does the wiggle and shake routine.. they were true comics... :(

Red Devil
08-31-2008, 4:40 PM
Nobody on here likes Pacu. They are all like - get rid of it, or, why would you want to own a Pacu? Get rid of it!

No.

You stick around awhile and you will find dozens of pacu lovers on here... today is just an off day... there are pacu threads all over the place...

Red Devil
08-31-2008, 4:56 PM

No.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168000&referrerid=7838

try this thread and then tell me nobody likes pacus:ROFL:

frnchjeep
08-31-2008, 5:53 PM

No.

There are some haters on here. Ignore them. They are just scared to own a real fish.:D

Mysticshadows3
08-31-2008, 6:55 PM

So you don't like Pacu?? Confusing...

Red Devil
08-31-2008, 6:56 PM

he likes him ...he teases me..

dragonfish
08-31-2008, 7:00 PM

It's just that Liz(Red Devil) was very attached to hers and was quite upset over the loss of her friends. I am attached to mine but have told her if she wants another she can have him. They are quite an investment in space, time , food, etc. That's why I have the one I do. Someone bought that cute little two incher and then researched.

dragonfish
08-31-2008, 7:00 PM
he likes him ...he teases me..

I do but no teasing involved.