First Tank Build - 400 Gallon

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Question.... how much overlap are you putting the glass onto the plywood? I'll be starting pretty much the same build as your's in the spring and I'm just wondering if 1" overlap would be safe? I already have my glass, 84"x24" and I would like to do the window as big as possable. So I'm thinking 96"x32"x30" on the outside, giving me around 350gal inside with a viewing window of 82"x22".
Op or anyone else is welcome to respond.
Great build by the way.......I'm watching closely.:popcorn:
Al.
Hey Al. I have about 2" of overhang on all sides, just a touch under. I read on a thread somewhere that your find as long as you overhang 1/2", I thought that was cutting it pretty fine though. Definitely hear ya on wanting your viewing windows as large as possible :) I'm sure having an inch overhang would be plenty, at least from what I've read.

YAY!!! Finally heard back from my local glass place and I was able to order my glass through them! It's $204 delivered to my house and should be in the week of January 9th! Looks like this build should stay on time after all!

Costs
Stand
(16) - 2x4 8's - $31.84
(300) - Assorted Screws - $5.19
Total = $37.03
Tank
(4) - 4x8 G1S Pine Plywood - $184.88
Fiberglass Resin and Cloth - $103.12
78"x31"x1/2" Glass Sheet - $204.00
(2) Gallons Liquid Rubber - $99.98
Total = $591.98

Grand Total = $629.01

Not sure if the 2 gallons of Liquid Rubber will be enough or not, only expenses I SHOULD have now is maybe more Zavlar and silicone for putting the glass in! Sure would be sick to keep the build around $700!

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Thanks! Got my Liquid Rubber today and just threw on my first coat! That stuff is pretty sweet and super easy to work with. I didn't like applying it with a roller, however with a brush i found it worked real slick. In a few spots the Zavlar didn't want to adhere very well, maybe some fiberglass I missed when sanding, we'll see what happens with the second coat and if it still does it maybe I'll sand those areas down and re-apply. It kind of smells like a mild tar like they use on hiways.

cowboycasanova

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2010
Garrettsville, Ohio
nice build my man hopefully i'll be getting into a ply wood build sometime after the new years so all the tips and lessons learned would be helpful i'm sure to anyone looking to build a ply wood tank, keep up the good work and happy holidays.

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Thanks and I hope you decide to build your tank!

I have a question, if I miss a spot or two on with the LR over the fiberglass will that harm my fish? Not sure if cured fiberglass is harmful or not.

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
When I built mine I had a small amount of fiberglass that was exposed to the water (by design) and it didn't seem to cause any problems with the fish. Take your time and get a good covering of LR in your tank. For every coating of LR I put on the tank walls and floor I put 2 in the corners. Every time I started with the LR, I would do the corners, then move on to the sides and bottom, and then finish the day with another coat in the corners. Like I said earlier, smooth the LR out but do so without thinning it out too much.

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Got three coats of LR on the bottom of the tank, still need two more on the sides and back, then just waiting on glass. In other news, my Jags layed eggs again, but this time the actually hatched. I figure there at least 350 little babies in there, needless to say that little 80 gallon is in chaos being ruled by the Jags, can't wait to get this tank done!

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
All done with the Liquid Rubber, covered the whole thing with 3 coats with a brush, to get the same mills with a roller seems like it'd take at least twice as many coats. Hoping for my glass to be in next week and filled by next week or the week after. Everything is looking real good, didn't think there was much point in taking more pictures of the tank now since it looks the exact same as after one coat. The mancave is starting to look like a mancave now!

man cave tv.jpg

Finally got the painting my girlfriend did for me! Let me know what ya think!

aro painting hung.jpg

Updates asap! Happy New Year!

man cave tv.jpg

aro painting hung.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store