First Tank Build - 400 Gallon

GTi_Leo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2011
Toronto, ontario
since you're in canada i don't think there are very many options but at home hardware they have a product called Zavlar liquid rubber it is $200 for a 5 gallon pail and from what i've heard is a great product and is used for flat roos, foundations, and even pond building

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
since you're in canada i don't think there are very many options but at home hardware they have a product called Zavlar liquid rubber it is $200 for a 5 gallon pail and from what i've heard is a great product and is used for flat roos, foundations, and even pond building
GTi, I've looked into Zavlar and that's probably what I will be using, although I could have SW Epoxy or Pond Armour shipped up for about $25. I really don't know what to use yet lol I got a guy whose buddy builds plywood tanks for a living so I think I will try to get in touch with him and see what he has to say. I'd assume if he does it for a living he'd have the system down!

Nice build, I'll be tagging along. Like the fish list minus the teacup ray, too hard to take care of it properly with that mix IMO. Keep up the good work, you definitley have skills!
Thanks :) That's also what I've been finding through my research and sounds like Teacups are fairly delicate and seeing as how I've never had rays I may go with the Motoro Ray instead, only problem is they get fairly large, we'll have to see.

Well, today I went and bought my plywood for the tank, hoping to have to all cut and put together tomorrow if I can a spare hour or two. Need to make my final decision on what product to waterproof with. Also I'm going to brace the inside corners with some ripped 2x4 for added strength and leak resistance, should I fiberglass the corners? Like just the corner to about 2" on either side. I'll post pictures of the tank all put together either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Costs
Stand
(16) - 2x4 8's - $31.84
(300) - Assorted Screws - $5.19
Total = $37.03
Tank
(4) - 4x8 G1S Pine Plywood - $184.88
Total = $184.88

Grand Total = $221.91

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
and the monster is born! :headbang2

Got all my wood cut up and the tank put together (other than the top), she's starting to come together!
fish tank 1.jpg
fish tank2.jpg
fish tank 3.jpg
So, next set of days off I'll be getting to top all put together, corner braces all ripped up and installed and then comes the hard paart.

In semi-fish tank related news, got the man cave ceiling all installed today, going to be a sick room to watch all the fishes!
man cave 1.jpg

fish tank 1.jpg

fish tank2.jpg

fish tank 3.jpg

man cave 1.jpg

Jon M

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
Port Saint John, FL
Work looks real clean but just a suggestion.

Supports where all the red is. It appears from the picture that the border (blue) is on the outside of the vertical legs. If that's the case I would most certainly run another set of 2x4 running with the red legs vertically where the red is that would sit between the blue trim and support it from underneath.

fish tank 3.jpg

fish tank 3.jpg

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Work looks real clean but just a suggestion.

Supports where all the red is. It appears from the picture that the border (blue) is on the outside of the vertical legs. If that's the case I would most certainly run another set of 2x4 running with the red legs vertically where the red is that would sit between the blue trim and support it from underneath.
Thanks for the suggestion Jon! The 2x4's you put the red on are on the inside of the blue border ones, however the run the whole distance from the bottom of the tank right to the floor so it should be lots of support, although I do have some 2x4's left over so maybe I'll brace a few legs just to use it up :)
Looking good. There have been a couple of builds on here that used Zavlar or liquid rubber. Check out Badoleross's build. For a shortcut, look at the finished product on page 34.

BTW, I don't know about you, but I love shift work. What's your schedule? I do 3 days, 3 nights and then 6 off.
Right on thanks bubbles, yah I'm kind of on the fence with the shift work, it is nice having days of during the week, but I hate working half the weekends... I like your schedule more than mine, I don't have any long changes like that. I go 2 days, 2 off, 3 nights, 2 off, 2 days, 3 off, 2 nights, 2 off, 3 days and so on, 7:30 to 7:30. What do you do for work?

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I just checked out that thread you linked me to bubbles, looks like a good product, I just hate how it turns brown, really would prefer and black tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store