First Tank Build - 400 Gallon

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Well, still no actual tank progress, but lots of progress on the fish tank room and fish room behind!
Sorry for the poor quality pictures...

Just the french doors and hanging ceiling to put in and then were ready for the tank ;), gunna wait to do the carpet until after the tanks running, JUST in case of any leaks I may have.

Drywalled Mudded.jpgPRimered Man Cave.jpgPainted Man CCave.jpg

Drywalled Mudded.jpg

PRimered Man Cave.jpg

Painted Man CCave.jpg

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Finally started my fish tank stand! I'll finish it on my next set of days off, ran out of materials.
Fish Tank Room.jpg
This is my fish room! All cleaned up and ready to start the build.
Fish Tank Stand.jpgFish Tank Stand 2.jpg
Pretty straight forward design, did it the same as my stand for my 77 gallon, need to add a few more braces and then throw some shelves in there and whatnot.

Fish Tank Room.jpg

Fish Tank Stand.jpg

Fish Tank Stand 2.jpg

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Well I figured since I have to stay up late for night shifts I may as well try and take some pictures of my fish/tanks... I really need to buy a better camera other than this old school Kodiak from years ago, I think my Blackberry takes better pictures than it does.
100_1206.JPG
So this is my main tank that I have upstairs, it's been running about 9 months. I just took all the plants out of it because my one Jag was starting to wreak them. In this tank I have 5 Frontosas (ranging from 2"-5"), 3 Jaguars (ranging from 5"-8"), 1 Black Ghost Knife (6"), 1 Sailfin Pleco (6") and a Yoyo Loach (1.5" - I have no idea how it's still alive in there!). There's also a female Convict in there because I had to split the pair up so they'd quit spawning. I've basically had all these fish other than one Front and Jag since about 7 months ago. I got the Jags and Fronts at the same time, the Fronts were nickel sized and the Jags were even smaller, probably dime sized. The two Jags I bought at that size are both females and when I found the larger male Jag the bigger female paired off and layed eggs (not sure if they weren't fertilized or what happened, but they turned black and died after a few days.
100_1182.JPG
Here she is laying eggs, she layed them for a whole afternoon and covered the whole rock.
100_1203.JPG
I set up my old 30 gallon about an hour ago, mostly to save my plants from my Jag, but also to grow a pair of Silver Aros since I'm not having any luck finding larger ones. I've had two over the past year and both jumped from the tank at about 11.5" :(... not making that mistake a third time. I threw my Angelfish from the 77 gallon and the male Con in there to get it all ready for my Silvers in case there's any cycle, which there shouldn't be since I took a filter from an established tank. I've kinda been going a little overboard on filtration these days, I had an Aquaclear 110 on the 77 originally, but switched to an FX5 on it, so now I have the 110 on the 30 gallon along with the 30 gallon filter lol so it should keep the water looking good!
100_1210.JPG100_1211.JPG
My bigger Fronts.
100_1215.JPG
My 7" male Jag.
100_1205.JPG
Looks like the new tanks going to be a little bigger than the old 30! :)

So I haven't come up with a final stock list for the 400 gallon. The Jags and Fronts will be in there as well as the BGK and the 2 Silvers when they get a little bigger. Ideas for stocking?? I might buy a bigger Clown Knife or Royal Clown Knife and plan on getting a Teacup ray as well.

100_1206.JPG

100_1182.JPG

100_1203.JPG

100_1210.JPG

100_1211.JPG

100_1215.JPG

100_1205.JPG

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Oh and I'll update my costs for the tank as I go as well, see what kind of price tag we can rack up!

Costs
(10) - 2x4 8's - $19.99
(150) - 3" Screws - $2.50

Updated Total - $22.49

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Stand is done, will had some shelves for filters and whatnot after everything's all up and working.

Fish Stand Done.jpg

Total costs for the stand:
(16) - 2x4 8's - $31.84
(300) - Assorted Screws - $5.19
Total = $37.03

Fish Stand Done.jpg

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Nice build, I'll be tagging along. Like the fish list minus the teacup ray, too hard to take care of it properly with that mix IMO. Keep up the good work, you definitley have skills!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store