Upgrading and looking for heaters that can heat 400 gallons.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Here's what I would do (actually, it's what I did):

ETCI-1R - Electronic Temperature Control w/ Receptacle for up to 1800 watts load

Four Eheim Jager 300W heaters

Set the Jagers 4 degrees F above the temperature you set the controller to so that if the controller fails in the "on" position, your Jagers internal thermostat will shut the heaters down and avoid overheating your tank. It's a little added insurance that the Titaniums are not able to provide.

Good luck!

http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
Best to get a external themostat and 2 x 300-500w heaters

You then put the heaters in the sump and the stat sensor in the main tank this works much better

MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thats what i do aswell on my 1200G , due to nice temperature in the room i get away with 2x350W on such a big tank, constant at 28 degrees. I also drip hot`n cold at 26. I use THIS item on Ebay

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Best to get a external themostat and 2 x 300-500w heaters

You then put the heaters in the sump and the stat sensor in the main tank this works much better

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I would consider moving the sensor into your sump area. If your pump kicks the bucket heated water will not make it into your display tank and the sensor will be telling the heaters to continue heating, essentially cooking your sump. I'm not sure at what temperature bio dies, but having 1,000W of heaters in <200G will result in some really hot water.

I guess this is another reason why it's a good idea to run two smaller return pumps versus one large pump.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
what scares me is that i plan to force a lot of air into my new sump cooling the water more so i figured i would need more.
but so far its a lot cheaper then i thought it was going to be.. i honestly thought i was going to have to buy 5 or 6.
Are you sure all that air you planning on forcing through the sump is going to be cold? You wil be pleasently suprised. I run a rediculous pump on my system along with a typical pump, the reactors alone have 20 airstone/bubbledisks and I don't think I have more then 500 watts of heater on a 1K gallon system, of course winter is way different, but every air pump I've seen produces warm if not hot air.

On bigger tanks your insulation job will make a huge difference on what you need to keep it warm.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
if your ambient temperature is 76* then you don't need much. Actually you shouldn't need anything... i have seen several people fry their ray from heaters sticking etc. During the summer when my house runs 76-80 i don't run a heater at all, with pumps running my tank stays from 78-80 or so. Which is close to their natural environment temperature. In the winter i run a heater as my house is more like 70-72.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Get 2 of the Jager 300 Watt heaters and that will do it. Add a third if you want piece of mind. I can heat my 600 with three but I added a fourth.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Also Dr Foster and Smith might still have them on sale. Just checked they still do. 22.99 each. Great price.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
My friend likes the azoo heaters 500 Watts each or larger. But you will never beat the price difference.

dhardwick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
IN
Hydor has a 400 watt I think they are $ 25 on petmountian.com work well have them in my 1400gal pond, 125, and twin 75s

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store