Probiotic experiment

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I was starting very conservatively.
Back when I was studying water/waste water treatment, we used the "food to microorganism ratio" (a mathematical equation for dosage) for treating activated sludge. In that situation bacteria would reproduce exponentially according to the amount of waste, so I was thinking a small population of bacteria would quickly exhaust the amount of waste in my system, and starve.
Guess my thinking was a bit backwards.
So for me, this is also time to teach this old dog some new tricks.
On my way to add some more Rid-X this morning.
I use more too, without that kind of overgrowth in tanks to start with. really fast results, esp on driftwood.
doubt that RidX scavengers keep multiplying on their own.
Now I put dry RidX inside mesh bags in tanks & remove exhausted media the next day.

If you don't see action within one week, I'd say it's under-dosed.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Your approach makes sense, it would actually be more efficient to dose for unique system bioload instead of volume. From my understanding the dosage is still experimental anyways, but considering a $10 box will last for years it doesn't hurt to overdose ;)

Btw, Ive been using a mesh media bag too and it works great. I like to give the bag a few shakes throughout the day to break up any clumps, but I didn't notice the bag ripped last time as I was hanging it from my spraybar. It released a white cloud but cleared up in less than 5 mins so I'm thinking about just dumping it in next time. There's a decent amount of pulp left over tho so maybe not lol

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
the white cloud going out from bag is only the good stuff. I do jiggle & shake the bag a few times while in tank, to release it better than just water flow does.
I didn't like the bran in tank when I put it all in directly, dry.. but the fish loved picking at it.?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
This morning I added 3 heaping spoonfuls to the filter sock in the sump, removed cyanobacteria from half the glass of the refugium, and pulled some cyano sheets off the gravel. It should be interesting to see if there is a significant difference.
I also did a slight gravel vac on about 1/3 of the main tank.
None of the fish have shown any sign of stress so far, and the plants seem unaffected in any negative way.
The entire system is about 300 gallons.
stock include in the 100 gal main tank
5 xCichlasoma ornatum
5 Guianacara owroewefi
a small belly crawler pike or 2
3 lemon tetras
and a bristlenose pleco
Plants are a few Vallisneria americana, and some floaters (I believe Cabomba carolina)
in the same line
a 60 gal tank with sub-adults of
6 Gymnogeophagus balzani
5 Australoheros red ceibal
10 Corydorus erhardti
3 adult Xenoteca eiseni
an adult pleco
and a 75 gal with
5 sub adult Tomocichla seiboldi
few floating plants

log from previous pics

main tank

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
this documentation will be an interesting watch,
... your fish actually becoming visible ;-)
LOL!!

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
I didn't know about this product, will definitely be watching and hopefully trying it out on my smaller tank... good luck!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I'd never thought of it either, until I read about people on MFK using it.
It is normally used poured down toilets for septic systems.
And yes it will be nice to see the fish, once in a while.
The ones in the 100 gal are young, and fairly small, so they spend a lot of time under cover, especially the wild caught ornatum. After 6 months they are now first starting to get comfortable.
Quite unlike the adult Madagascans, that are always out front.

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
I have to say thank you for pointing out that sticky, I hadn't noticed it yet!

Just read it all the way through...

This is exciting, BGA is why I tore down my planted tank. If I can keep it under control I would love to get back to having a planted tank...

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
By the way, the Madagascans in the tank above are in a separate system, not on Rid-X at the moment.
And also, the system I'm trying it on, was the obvious (at least to me) to try it on because of the cyanobacteria out break.
But cyanobacteria is not the primary concern.
In general by having a large population of aerobic species (considered good bacteria), I am hoping these bacteria will out compete and basically replace and less desirable, anaerobic or even pathogenic species that enter the system.
This, along with more quickly metabolizing waste products and sludge.
This would be akin to part of the "activated sludge " process in waste water treatment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store