Probiotic experiment

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
By the way, the Madagascans in the tank above are in a separate system, not on Rid-X at the moment.
And also, the system I'm trying it on, was the obvious (at least to me) to try it on because of the cyanobacteria out break.
But cyanobacteria is not the primary concern.
In general by having a large population of aerobic species (considered good bacteria), I am hoping these bacteria will out compete and basically replace and less desirable, anaerobic or even pathogenic species that enter the system.
This, along with more quickly metabolizing waste products and sludge.
This would be akin to part of the "activated sludge " process in waste water treatment.
This here is everything im interested in to. After reading most of the sticky so far Im really interested in the effects in quality that it has in the tank. My understanding is reduced negative acting bacteria due to Over competition as well as things like waste products like mulm, and detrius and even alage on a substrate can be reduced or eliminated by a great deal. Being a live plant enthusiast as well I really like this as it may even benefit that environment much more then I have it now even. Im rather excited about watching your results.

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
Questions.....

Is there a specific product of the Rid X that we want to use? Looking around they have a few different products.

Is this ok to use in an uncycled tank or should a person wait for the tank to cycle?

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Questions.....

Is there a specific product of the Rid X that we want to use? Looking around they have a few different products.

Is this ok to use in an uncycled tank or should a person wait for the tank to cycle?
you need to read the main thread about this.

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
you need to read the main thread about this.
Yes ma'am! ;) (ment very respectfully as well) I have been actually. Seems pretty simple. I was just wanting to make sure I didnt read something wrong and screw it up.

Maybe I missed the part about dosing a new tank thats not been cycled.

Dispatch273

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
CT
You could have completely gotten rid of the blue green algae in a few days by using this: http://www.thatpetplace.com/blue-gr..._id=26453736&gclid=CPGCmbOairgCFQyg4AodPF0ACA
Plus it is safe for fish and plants.
I don't think getting rid of the Cyano was the only purpose of this experiment......

Great thread duanes, should be interesting to see your end results

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
FYI - my experience with removing cyanobacteria using septic tank bacteria was negative. It seemed to help at first, but the cyanobacteria has made a come back. Just thought that I should chime in here seeing as I'm the person who first discussed this. I suspect that there are bacteria products out there that might work, but in my limited experience the standard septic tank products will not get the job done. Also, I was using far more product than duanes, and dosing weekly.

Good luck, you might want to take a closer look at the product that Joe linked to. lol

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

Just a little history. Before I started the thread, the above tank, was/is used as a planted refugium/filter.
As you can see it held many marginal pond plants.
In May I moved the plants back to the pond, just after the move is when the cyano exploded, there was plenty of algae even with the plants, but was predominantly a hair algae species (one I don't mind being there)..

I have moved the photos to a folder in order to see progress, "if any" after the addition of Rid-X.
The normal routine of water changes will remain the same.
I'm trying to get very similar shots, for comparison.
Below is the latest refugium shot

And here the log, I am using as a bit of a change barometer.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It's been about a month since I started my Rid X experiment.
First pic is before adding Rid X, just after removing some pond plants, I had been overwintering, and a cyanobacteria bloom hit.
I held back on water changes a bit, but I doubt that adding a probiotic eliminates that regime.
Here's a pic from today, after some normal water changes.

6/25

today, 7/14

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store