Super Bored...Save My Hobby

oneyedfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
West Chester, PA
Im not trying to get you to switch to the dark side or anything but if you don't like any of the above suggestions you could always give salt water a shot. At least you'd still be in the hobby instead of completely out and it would be a new challenge.
+1. I've been considering this myself in one of my tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
I would get a wet pet and then stay away from fish stores except to buy food for your fish. I went through a faze wanting to get out and kept switching fish trying to find something to keep my interest. I bought a chocolate cichlid because I thought they were beautiful as adults when well cared for and I have had it for close to a year which is the longest I have kept a fish without trading it in for something different. I stay away from the fish stores and if I start getting weak I just look at how beautiful my chocolate is and the work I put into him/her. Get something beautiful so its visually appealing and interactive. Good luck!

Reactions: RandomAlgae

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
I kept most of my fish til death, the long lived ones that have left were donated to the zoo when I moved, tanks blew out and wasn't able to replace at the time, didn't get along with others, a few were sold for cash when I was broke, a few jumped and some, like the electric eel, the wife hated. I work too much to try learning salt. thanks for some suggestions

I would get a wet pet and then stay away from fish stores except to buy food for your fish. I went through a faze wanting to get out and kept switching fish trying to find something to keep my interest. I bought a chocolate cichlid because I thought they were beautiful as adults when well cared for and I have had it for close to a year which is the longest I have kept a fish without trading it in for something different. I stay away from the fish stores and if I start getting weak I just look at how beautiful my chocolate is and the work I put into him/her. Get something beautiful so its visually appealing and interactive. Good luck!
This is good advice. Once I went the wet pet route and kept only one mixed tank, all was well. Saltwater if definitely another option to consider.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
How old is your daughter? Maybe she could take over tank maintenance ( if she is old enough ) and you take a break? Sometimes a bit of time out can make all of the difference or maybe you are just bored of keeping fish and need to find something new. They are to much effort to keep properly if your hearts not in it. I was in the same boat when I had a community tank but I love my predators so maybe like other people have said you just need a "wet pet" type fish

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I didn't see Zebra plecos...LOL

Have you tried breeding fish?

I've been doing fish for 24 years and yes I went a few years being burned out. I kept at least 1 tank to at least keep the hobby alive. Now, that I have urges again I'm limited to my wife's basic dislike for fish and not having any money

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If the passion is no longer there, its no longer there. I've been in and out of the hobby for nearly 30 years. Sometimes you just need a break, and its ok

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store