Super Bored...Save My Hobby

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
How about some super aggressive fish such as armatus, african tiger fish, or wolf fish
My armatus i have found is more interesting than my motoro stingray! Half of the fun for me is preparing the food.
+1
After 5 years of keeping fish, working my way up from a tiny 7 gallon now up to a 135, I've had a decent amount of fish and will admit I have occasionally gotten bored of the hobby and thought of getting out, but never could. I've found my white tip wolf to be one of my favorites. If hoplias malabaricus were legal in California, I would get one in an instant. I don't have tank space for other legal hoplias species so I settled for an erythrinus and I love him. Very active, eats anything, he's like a mini monster, I would definitely recommend one.

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Take a break I took a 7 year break from the hobby. Your interest and time shifts. You'll most likely get back into it again with new passion and energy.
+1, I've taken a few breaks myself over the last 20 years and always come back. Note, put one or two tanks into storage so when you do come back you don't have to buy a new one.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
I've haven't gotten bored of the hobby. Keeps me alive and helps me go through the tough bs in life sometimes and it's relaxing when watching fish.. also helps calm nerves IMO.

Anyway, rainbows are awesome fish, try them and givem a shot. Pretty active small medium-sized guys with lotta color. I recommend bosemanis, turquiose, red iranian species. They are cool.

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
Ya I agree with NeonFlux get rainbows and stay away from high maintenence fish like the electric eel which you listed because you cant shift interests with a creature that lives to be like 20 years old and relys on your support.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
If you want to try something fresh I would try not fish keeping lol. As in keeping nonfish. Try some colorful crayfish or shrimp or crabs or axolotls or a stingray, although still a fish. I had a "freshwater lobster" that was a cray of some sort and it was a cool experience. Different behavior different hardscape but still fairly simple maintenance and care. Although I guess you've got some inverts on your list already, maybe frogs or turtles or slamanders...

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This is an interesting thread for me, because I've been keeping fish for over 60 years, and specialized in only one group over that time span, the cichlids (of which there are almost 2000 species, that come from very diverse habitats, from rapids, to surf zones, to black water swamps, and saline lakes more salty than the ocean., (although there were many others types of fish along the way.) And I have yet to lose interest
At first I would randomly combine fish from anywhere and every where together, but over time that concept has changed in my line of fish keeping..
I find the intimate details of providing geographically correct biotopes (plants and animals) has deepend my interest, not chilled it.
And doing the research that it takes to provide natural conditions in everything from substrate, to ranges of flow, to proper temp , seasonal changes, and water conditions only boosts my interest.
That curiosity lead to a 20 year career in water science, as a chemist/microbiologist
Then later going to countries were my fish come from, and snorkeling and diving with them, testing parameters to see for myself where, and what they live in, and, with what other species, to provide proper tank mates, also adds to the interest.
And now moving to Panama where some of my favorite species come from.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Well original post was from Jan 23, 2014... I did notice that the poster toehead11183 toehead11183 later commented in May 2020 about the lesser siren, so at that point was still keeping a tank. He hasnt commented since but was last seen August 17, 2022 so if anything still has some interest in the hobby.

Tag toehead11183 toehead11183 , how about an update? What are you doing since this original post?

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
I guess i received it lol, o was reading new posts, then searched something else and stumbled across this forgetting i wasn't in new threads anymore ?

• Haha
Reactions: DMD123

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I got back in the hobby 4 years ago. I had gotten bored and didn't have time for the fish. I'm glad I got back in the hobby (now retired). There is nothing like watching a 6" Jurupari playfully poke at a 16" peacock bass. I swear that Jurupari thinks he is a bass. Fish are a trip. Especially large personable fish. But it is a lot of work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store