Catalina biotype

Status
Not open for further replies.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
Comments like this make it hard to take you seriously. I work a lot with both local , state and federal agencies that enforce animal regulations. Housing is done at pre-approved facilities, not people's homes.

Charter fishing as a commercial practice is different law than keeping them alive and housing them. Just because you can fish for it and kill it doesn't make it legal to fish for it and keep it alive for your private viewing. If you bring it into US waters for the purpose of keeping it alive in your pond, you are now importing a live display animal into the US without proper paperwork. That's black market smuggling.

You say you are replicating the natural environment in one post, then in this one are saying you are creating a situation with different environmental conditions. You can't have both. I'm not sure if your radition comment is serious or just turning into a troll..

As for your last question, you will be hard pressed to find someone in the US with better information about shark collection, transport, husbandry and the permitting related to it that some of the people posting for you in this thread.
What did I say to offend you? Whatever it was sorry, just so you know take everyones advice (except Ppoeschl) into concideration. I even got disolved oxygen probes as per your request.I even said I will bypass the blue shark if it is not feasible.

How can I get my pond to be a certified facility? I spoke to California Fish and Wildlife and they weren't really sure about the laws on catching fish for my aquarium. They said it shouldn't be a problem as long as the fish is in season and of legal size. They also said I can't sell it. I will definitely look into more depth about the laws.

I am going to try an replicate the natrual enviorment as best as I can. It will be impossible to replicate the ocean in a pond. People to replicate the ocean in their fish tanks but it will never be the same. I am going to use food and water from its natrual enviorment.

I didnt think of the radiation until yesterdat. A lot of weapons testing has taken place off the coast of California. They do radiation tests every few years to see if any radiation is leaking from the soil and rocks. I thunk this is something which should be taken into concideration.

Which local shark will do well in my pond that has a fast reproductive rate?

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
I think you have a excellent idea. Most great scientists and their ideas were not accepted and appreciated until years later. Darwin's ideas on natural selection and evolution weren't accepted until Mendels did his work on genetics.

I have faith in you and your quest at creating a new species. You should do some research into allopatric speciation and geographic isolation evolution.
You should read Darwin's book The Origin of Species.
Thank you for your kind words. You remember when the earth was flat, when it was impossible to break the sound barrier and when nobody will go to the moon.

Like a great scientist once said "follow your curiosity" and "the imagination is powerful."

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
What did I say to offend you? Whatever it was sorry, just so you know take everyones advice (except Ppoeschl) into concideration. I even got disolved oxygen probes as per your request.I even said I will bypass the blue shark if it is not feasible.

How can I get my pond to be a certified facility? I spoke to California Fish and Wildlife and they weren't really sure about the laws on catching fish for my aquarium. They said it shouldn't be a problem as long as the fish is in season and of legal size. They also said I can't sell it. I will definitely look into more depth about the laws.

I am going to try an replicate the natrual enviorment as best as I can. It will be impossible to replicate the ocean in a pond. People to replicate the ocean in their fish tanks but it will never be the same. I am going to use food and water from its natrual enviorment.

I didnt think of the radiation until yesterdat. A lot of weapons testing has taken place off the coast of California. They do radiation tests every few years to see if any radiation is leaking from the soil and rocks. I thunk this is something which should be taken into concideration.

Which local shark will do well in my pond that has a fast reproductive rate?
I would highly encourage you to read the elasmobranch husbandry manual before going any further. You have questions and deny issues that are extremely real. Maybe then you will understand the need for everything I have talked about. Again, is your fence strong enough and tall enough to hold up in typhoon like conditions? This is extremely important as far as legality is concerned.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
I would highly encourage you to read the elasmobranch husbandry manual before going any further. You have questions and deny issues that are extremely real. Maybe then you will understand the need for everything I have talked about. Again, is your fence strong enough and tall enough to hold up in typhoon like conditions? This is extremely important as far as legality is concerned.
I will go to barnes and nobles later and get the book. I didn't get a fence yet but will consider its strength. I was going to use a fence with a lot of holes so water can pass through it. This will also allow air to pass through as well making it less likely to get taken by the wind.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Here's the Elasmobranch Husbandry Manual:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?411353-Elasmobranch-Husbandry-Manual

You didn't offend me at all. I think the message trying to be given here is you are trying to jump into the deep end of the pool prior to learning how to swim. You are hoping for things that don't happen (like a private owner becoming a holding facility for aquatic wildlife in legal cases).
What you are talking about is a HUGE undertaking and requires a lot of planning and a lot of real world hands on experience. You're also talking about animals that require expert levels of care to keep alive. It's a lot more than just having 'natural water' for them. Chances are you'll want to add some type of commercial size filtration. It will allow you to keep the water clear, keep your dissolved oxygen levels up, possibly add sterilization if needed.

I've dealt with flow through lagoons and 'natural' saltwater lagoons. They aren't as stable as you are hoping for. You are also very much at the mercy of nature when things start to go bad. It will also require a lot of upkeep - almost to the point needing a person or two in order to monitor everything to watch for abnormalities.

I think at this point, if you had pictures, it would help with planning the future changes you'll need to make in order to put this together.

TNTtropical

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
ABC
Like many things it is better to start small and gain experience, and then get into bigger and more complex systems. Although what you are wanting to do may seem cool and really exciting, you need to take into account the animals that you are proposing to put into this pond. Like others have said here i would encourage you to work your way up the chain don't just start off saying "i want to put a blue shark in a pond" I can understand you are passionate and have dreams about setting something up like this. Im sure many people on here have had dreams similar to this setup in one way or another, but for your sake and more so for the animals sake, i hope that you start small and gain some more experience before undertaking an endeavor like this.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
I was planning on taking it slow starting with kelp and sardines and working my way up to the sharks. My plans are going to change. I just found out that there is already a shark population there. I told asked my dad if he had ahy pictures and told him my idea. He told me that sharks already live in there and gave me some pictures. They kind of suck. Next week I will try and get to the island and get better pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store