Catalina biotype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
My pond has beaches all around the edges. One of the main reasons why they don't survive is because they crash into walls. I don't have walls in my pond. this is similar with a great white shark. This pond is similar to the one I have.http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/df...white-shark-in-cape-cod-salt-pond-photos.html

Yes you were doubting zoodiver,
No offense, but i have major doubts as far as your abilities are concerned... if you think the main reason they dont survive is because they crash into walls i really have doubts. If you are going to use the tide for water changes then what if there is an issue with water quality mid tide? what about source water quality? are you prepared to test for, and adjust D.O.? What about disease considerations? do you have any idea what ailments a blue shark may come down with? what about temperature control? do you have the means to employ a vet and possibly a staff memeber to assist? what about the feeding issues of these species? And then there is the legality of this whole mess of a plan.

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
Thats the shark. My pond is about 75 yards the long way and 50 yards the short length. It is oval shaped. Water changes will be done by the tides. The pond is an old quarry or missle test site from WWII so it has a sand bottom.
which one? is there possible metal contamination as a result of this missile test site?

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
I just need to find my old phone. If I can find my phone I will get more pictures I the next couple of weeks whe I go back to the island.

There will be a fence around the pond. A few times a month high tide floods the pond. I don't want my fish to get washed away.
again if this floods, how are you logistically going to filter/heat/cool the water? what about incclimate weather?

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
I am not sure if you are a noob or troll. Your 3 posts all in a row in this few thread is throwing me off. In short this is a very big and deep pond with a lot of water volume. This is not a 12 gallon nano. It will hold tempeture fine.

There are already native fish living in the pond so the water isn't toxic. saying of missile is going to contaminate this time it's like saying the titanic is going to contaminate the ocean.

The shark is comming from water that is less then a 100 yards from its native water. With the same water. All the fish it going to live with come from the same water. If its immune system is able to defend against the parasites, bacteria and fungus in the wild it will be able to defend it in the pond.

What is an example of an issue which will take place at high tide? Oil rigs from huntington beach break and spill oil everywhere? if this happens I'll take it as an act of God and beyond my control.

Like i said its a native pond. Its like havinf a pond or lake with perch, bass, sunfish and sturgeon. Are you going to put a heater on it. I dive the lake often surface temp never got above 75 degrees. Highest tempeture at the the thermoclime is 66.

Your rant just you repeating yourself about crap you worry about on overstock tropical nano tank. Not a understock native pond/lake.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
If you are set on it, you'll have to look into permitting etc... to collect and keep your livestock. Being a 'naturally' occuring body of water, you'll have to check on regulation in CA for what you're doing. I know they are very strict with things like this, especially if there is the chance it goes under and can 'cross contaminate' back into the ocean.

I still have doubt. The Blue shark is a very active open water swimmer. It's not one of the sharks I'd consider trying. I'd stick to smaller species that have a proven track record under human care, then move up from there after a few years of shark keeping.

Enlcosed bodies of water (even large ones) are very different that open ocean when it comes to parasite / bacteria outbreaks. Don't let the volume fool you into thinking the immune system of the animal will be enough if something sneaks in. Water being toxic to fish vs sharks is also different. Sharks are very sensative to certain things (like trace metal) that won't impact typcial fish species at all.

Have you done an preliminary testing of things like disolved oxygen levels during various times of the year? They can fall off very quickly, even on a large volume like this, and a blue shark needs VERY high DO levels.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Can't blue sharks get huge as in big enough to be a threat to the rest of the sharks? I wouldn't feel comfortable putting any open ocean shark in it as it is, the rest sounds like all good ideas. If you don't plan on obtaining permits I would drop this idea altogether, especially since your posting about it online and it can be traced back to you

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
+1
Also, when you say the tide will change the water, what is one of the sharks swims out and gets stranded when the water is coming in?

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
If you are set on it, you'll have to look into permitting etc... to collect and keep your livestock. Being a 'naturally' occuring body of water, you'll have to check on regulation in CA for what you're doing. I know they are very strict with things like this, especially if there is the chance it goes under and can 'cross contaminate' back into the ocean.
I have an extra apex controller and an extra Neptune controller. I will set them up at diffrent points on the pond and update everyone on the lakes conditions.

I still have doubt. The Blue shark is a very active open water swimmer. It's not one of the sharks I'd consider trying. I'd stick to smaller species that have a proven track record under human care, then move up from there after a few years of shark keeping.

Enlcosed bodies of water (even large ones) are very different that open ocean when it comes to parasite / bacteria outbreaks. Don't let the volume fool you into thinking the immune system of the animal will be enough if something sneaks in. Water being toxic to fish vs sharks is also different. Sharks are very sensative to certain things (like trace metal) that won't impact typcial fish species at all.

Have you done an preliminary testing of things like disolved oxygen levels during various times of the year? They can fall off very quickly, even on a large volume like this, and a blue shark needs VERY high DO levels.

I dont plan on adding the apex predators for another year. I know they are fish in the pond but not a strong population.

I am going to start by adding shrimp, clams, smelt, anchovies, senoritas and kelp.

A few months lateer I will add rock fish and perch.

Then I will add kelp bass and yellow tails.

Then the stingrays and barracudas.

Then the sharks. I am very flexable with my plans and if the blue shark doesn't fit in my set up it doesn't fit. My ultimate plan is to have speciation occur and have a species of fish named after me.

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
not a new person to the aquarium/zoological field at all, in fact, I have 10x your experience. All the above questions are legitimate and must be addressed if you are taking this proposition seriously and your lack of enthusiam is concerning. even if other fish seem to be thriving in the pond, ensuring there is not a metal contamination issue is very important. Elasmobranchs are sensitive to nickel, copper, and several other metals that teleosts do not have any issues with at low levels.
same with low levels of D.O.

but what is most concerning is your a

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
Can't blue sharks get huge as in big enough to be a threat to the rest of the sharks? I wouldn't feel comfortable putting any open ocean shark in it as it is, the rest sounds like all good ideas. If you don't plan on obtaining permits I would drop this idea altogether, especially since your posting about it online and it can be traced back to you

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Catalina Island is very corrupt especially Avalon. I should have no problem obtaining permits. I can also take my boat into international water's. Maybe I will just stick with the horns and leopard sharks. I still have a while till I get them. I am working my way up the food chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store