Catalina biotype

Status
Not open for further replies.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
+1
Also, when you say the tide will change the water, what is one of the sharks swims out and gets stranded when the water is coming in?
The water level doesn't reach more then 2 feet above ground level. All I need is a short fence around the pond.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
not a new person to the aquarium/zoological field at all, in fact, I have 10x your experience.
To make a statement like that you need to know my experience level which you don't.
I have 0 experience in the aquarium and zooology field. Since you have 10x my eexperience you to have 0 experience (10×0=0).

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
Apparent lack of concern for disease issues that will come up. No matter how big the water change, monotremes, copepods, isopods, etc can and will be an issue.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Catalina Island is very corrupt especially Avalon. I should have no problem obtaining permits. I can also take my boat into international water's. Maybe I will just stick with the horns and leopard sharks. I still have a while till I get them. I am working my way up the food chain.

That actually becomes a federal crime, and you will end up in prison for it. You'd be smuggling black market animals into the country. They don't take kindly to that at all.

If you are serious about this project, heed the words of wisdom being offered. You have posted you have minimal experience with this type of thing. There are several on here with decades under their belt. Having a goal like getting a species named after you (which won't be happening in this type of set up) might be the wrong way to approach this. Projects like this aren't something you just jump into blindly.

I highly suggest you get the proper permits and start with your fish and other small animals. Work your way up. If you feel like skipping the research, planning and permitting stages, I'll offer this for you: In the last 24 months I've been called in as an 'expert' with several large scale "shut down" projects that were very similar ponds/enclosures created illegally. The owners are not in a good situation right now, all of the animals were confiscated and being held as evidence for federal court cases and many are facing serious prison time on top of the fines. As of now, you've already posted on the internet about your intentions. IP address is logged and can be traced back.

When done well, a natural lagoon like this is one of the most amazing things you have have to watch. I strongly encourage you to take the proper steps so you can see your dream take shape. If you want help with the process, there are several members here who can show you the things you'll need to do in order to make it work well.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
That actually becomes a federal crime, and you will end up in prison for it. You'd be smuggling black market animals into the country. They don't take kindly to that at all.

If you are serious about this project, heed the words of wisdom being offered. You have posted you have minimal experience with this type of thing. There are several on here with decades under their belt. Having a goal like getting a species named after you (which won't be happening in this type of set up) might be the wrong way to approach this. Projects like this aren't something you just jump into blindly.

I highly suggest you get the proper permits and start with your fish and other small animals. Work your way up. If you feel like skipping the research, planning and permitting stages, I'll offer this for you: In the last 24 months I've been called in as an 'expert' with several large scale "shut down" projects that were very similar ponds/enclosures created illegally. The owners are not in a good situation right now, all of the animals were confiscated and being held as evidence for federal court cases and many are facing serious prison time on top of the fines. As of now, you've already posted on the internet about your intentions. IP address is logged and can be traced back.

When done well, a natural lagoon like this is one of the most amazing things you have have to watch. I strongly encourage you to take the proper steps so you can see your dream take shape. If you want help with the process, there are several members here who can show you the things you'll need to do in order to make it work well.
Where are you a cop? If you need a place to put the animals after the trial I will be more then happy to allow some to make my pond their new home.

All the fish I plan on getting are legal. I went through fishing carter catalogue when planning this out. Blue sharks are a popular game fish around here. Many fishing captains take their clients into international waters to get around size and amount limits.

Why don't you think I can create a new species. I am isolating a population with diffrent enviormental conditions. When natrual selection takes place the fish with the best genetics will survive. Which will be different in a pond then a ocean. Im addition there is radiation deep in the soil in some areas. If this leaks it can cause mutation the fish genetic material increasing the rate of speciation.

I am on hold now with California Fish and Wildlife, They are transfering me to somebody who can answer ky questions. I am to pretty to go to jail. Who here has experience with saltwater ponds I have tons of questions to ask them.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Too pretty for jail? You have enough radiation to genetically alter dna and create a new species, yet think the conditions are better than anyone else ever so you can be the first to house a blue shark long term. You think the genetic variations in an enclosed pond are going to evolve separately than those in the ocean? I wish you luck. Pretty sure if sir charles darwin could just have filled a pond with species instead of going to the galapagos, he would have done it. Last point is theres a HUGE difference between fishing in international waters and bringing it back to keep in your pond on american soil.

Needless to say ill be curiously awaiting what sort of genetic abomination you create(although I wont be holding my breath)

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I think you have a excellent idea. Most great scientists and their ideas were not accepted and appreciated until years later. Darwin's ideas on natural selection and evolution weren't accepted until Mendels did his work on genetics.

I have faith in you and your quest at creating a new species. You should do some research into allopatric speciation and geographic isolation evolution.

You should read Darwin's book The Origin of Species.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Where are you a cop? If you need a place to put the animals after the trial I will be more then happy to allow some to make my pond their new home.

All the fish I plan on getting are legal. I went through fishing carter catalogue when planning this out. Blue sharks are a popular game fish around here. Many fishing captains take their clients into international waters to get around size and amount limits.

Why don't you think I can create a new species. I am isolating a population with diffrent enviormental conditions. When natrual selection takes place the fish with the best genetics will survive. Which will be different in a pond then a ocean. Im addition there is radiation deep in the soil in some areas. If this leaks it can cause mutation the fish genetic material increasing the rate of speciation.

I am on hold now with California Fish and Wildlife, They are transfering me to somebody who can answer ky questions. I am to pretty to go to jail. Who here has experience with saltwater ponds I have tons of questions to ask them.
Comments like this make it hard to take you seriously. I work a lot with both local , state and federal agencies that enforce animal regulations. Housing is done at pre-approved facilities, not people's homes.

Charter fishing as a commercial practice is different law than keeping them alive and housing them. Just because you can fish for it and kill it doesn't make it legal to fish for it and keep it alive for your private viewing. If you bring it into US waters for the purpose of keeping it alive in your pond, you are now importing a live display animal into the US without proper paperwork. That's black market smuggling.

You say you are replicating the natural environment in one post, then in this one are saying you are creating a situation with different environmental conditions. You can't have both. I'm not sure if your radition comment is serious or just turning into a troll..

As for your last question, you will be hard pressed to find someone in the US with better information about shark collection, transport, husbandry and the permitting related to it that some of the people posting for you in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store