Good quality bp vs bad quality bp...

crush329

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
MO
yes they do i just don't like that look lol .. the flower horn had almost no tail when i got him. they had 1 other one also that was starting with the fin rot ,but i treated that one super fast so it is just a matter of time.. the blue one i have i think the growth might be stunted.. it is 7 months old and it is 4 " long maybe.. but she is pretty blue with nice red eyes .. she also got beat up by a large fh where she was kept so her upper lip is damaged i will try to get a pic for ya to see
Ok

I've seen some super red/vibrant juveniles at the stores, but most adults I have seen look a dull orange. Does the intense coloration fade with age?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I would say when kept on a good diet and if water is changed properly not that much. Driftwood helps them keep their rich color too.

Na i think its just from expirience.

Its just a preference tho.
Im not being negative at all

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Oh I understand. I have never owned a bp that can close its mouth... but if I did, I would probably have the same opinion from experience as you. Lol

www.youtube.com/crushalot329

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Is there a way of telling if a bp will have a closing mouth when it's about 1", my lfs has a few available. Also when do they start coloring up? Thanks for the info.

Butthorn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2012
Philly
I've seen some super red/vibrant juveniles at the stores, but most adults I have seen look a dull orange. Does the intense coloration fade with age?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I know sometimes bp are dyed different colors, usually pretty small ones. I have also have seen bp dyed deep red which faded to orange a few weeks after. If they are very red and have red eyes, they are most likely dyed. I've seen purple ones w/ purple eyes ...if they are dyed it may not last very long, leaving a dull parrot. I have also seen some very nice large bp that are a few years old and have been taken care of, look great as far as color goes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

crush329

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
MO
Is there a way of telling if a bp will have a closing mouth when it's about 1", my lfs has a few available. Also when do they start coloring up? Thanks for the info.
I have one that hasn't faded yet. It's about an inch and its mouth used to close but as it keeps developing it's looking like it mouth won't close. Also this is my first go with a bp that wasn't faded already.

I know sometimes bp are dyed different colors, usually pretty small ones. I have also have seen bp dyed deep red which faded to orange a few weeks after. If they are very red and have red eyes, they are most likely dyed. I've seen purple ones w/ purple eyes ...if they are dyed it may not last very long, leaving a dull parrot. I have also seen some very nice large bp that are a few years old and have been taken care of, look great as far as color goes.

Leaving them with purple eyes? That is some extreme cruelty just to make a buck.

Butthorn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2012
Philly
I have one that hasn't faded yet. It's about an inch and its mouth used to close but as it keeps developing it's looking like it mouth won't close. Also this is my first go with a bp that wasn't faded already.

Leaving them with purple eyes? That is some extreme cruelty just to make a buck.

Check these out, not my photos

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1394507461.380747.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1394507470.301648.jpg

mahsfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
Check these out, not my photos

Not saying the dying is ethical or anything. But the first pic is just short body pink convicts that are dyed.

And the second pic does look to be blood parrots that are dyed. But what is even worse it some of them are "heart" parrots which means they cut of the tail to make their body look like a heart when it heals.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crush329

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
MO

mahsfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yea I agree the first pic is pink cons... Hell I wonder what will be next. The second is bp's. Yeah I've heard about the tail cutting... I wonder what grade they get? That all mighty dollar has some people making some very evil acts.

The issue is the uneducated fish keepers who keep buying them. Or maybe the kids. They go in and see all these fruity colored fish and want one of every color so they buy them.

Or they see these little heart shaped fishies and immediately want one because its shaped like so.
But they probably think the fish are naturally like this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store