DRIP SYSTEMS Success & Failures

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
I am considering setting up a drip system. acoording to my water company our water has 1.01 ppm of chlorine. Would I require a carbon filter at that level or will it gas out as it drips?
tank size and drip speed will will affect your decision, although I think a carbon filter is usually a good idea.

i.e. big tank with a slow drip it may not be necessary as it will be diluted

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
The main tanks I want it for is my 125g and my 75g. I guess I could set up a 10 gallon with mature tank water and a mock system then test it for chlorine after a couple weeks.

phishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
Arkansas USA
I have been successfully running a drip system on my 225 for about 4 years. I have it stocked with approximately 80 Mbunas. I'm running a 55gal DIY wet/dry sump and an Eheim 2262 Classic. I'm dripping approximately 20 gallons a day (about a 10% water change every day). I also do weekly 25% water change with gravel vac. With this setup I have extremely stable water with nitrate readings between 5 and 10 ppm. My setup is extremely simple, partly because my home is supplied by spring water from our own property. It simply drips into the sump and overflows out of the sump and into an external drain. I would be happy to take pictures if anyone is interested in seeing more details.

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
I've been tooling around with a few ideas while building mine. It seems that you could hang a strainer or cup with a carbon bag in an overflow, or even in the tank and just drip over that rather than run some crazy dosing system or prefilter that risks clog/flood house.

Obviously there are benefits to some of the other additives (I've always run Prime).. but if you've got a healthy tank and filter, and only need to remove chlorine.. could this work?
anyone else have thoughts on this?

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

mike_sema

Hail Hogs
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
HOT Water
I don't filter my tap water. I drip pure unfilter tap water directly into my tank, the same stuff I drink. 7 years now no issues. Weird I know....
+1 I run all my systems the same way without any issues, maybe it's an AZ thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I will have a drip system in pretty soon, but still in process. It will not be treated since we don't use chloramines in my city. I don't treat my water doing water changes now unless it is 50% or larger.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I will have a drip system in pretty soon, but still in process. It will not be treated since we don't use chloramines in my city. I don't treat my water doing water changes now unless it is 50% or larger.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I know your water quality is pretty good out of the tap Rodger. I've got to figure a way to treat mine . No way am I putting my city water in my tanks straight from the tap. Might end up with a 2 headed fish ...looking at a whole house filter first

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Didn't wanna make a whole thread on this just a quick question about drip systems are they expensive to maintain such as the water bill from the water constantly going into the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I like to think the water going to my fish is free. Let me explain. I trickle maybe a gallon an hour into each of my 4 big tanks. That water overflows into my sump and I have a PVC elbo coming out the side of my sumps that the one gallon an hour overflows into a drain. So yes 1X24X7 = 168 gallons per week X 4 fish tanks. Yes that cost $$$$ I send that water outside to my trees and bushes. I was going to water the trees and bushes anyway. Now I just water my fish and tell myself its free :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store