Native fish or other cichlids with Tiger Oscar in a 75g?

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
I'm glad you have the option, and are choosing, to go for a 6' tank. Petsmarts by me usually have 125gal full set-ups for a very good price, and also keep an eye on Craigslist. Sometine these CL people ask outragous price but just make an offer....all they can do is say "no". I won't pay more than $2 per gallon for good condition 100gal+ (tank only). Good luck
Yeah, I'm pretty confident I could find one or piece together a set up for a decent price. It's the size that might be an issue. Gonna head out and check out some different set ups at my local stores and see what they have.

anyone know a good place for wild oscars? They are beautiful and would make a great tankmate.....along with a bullhead!

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
Yeah, I'm pretty confident I could find one or piece together a set up for a decent price. It's the size that might be an issue. Gonna head out and check out some different set ups at my local stores and see what they have.

anyone know a good place for wild oscars? They are beautiful and would make a great tankmate.....along with a bullhead!
more than likely would have to order them online. As to where I could not tell you, I've never ordered fish online.

Good luck with your set up! Hope it works out the way you want!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Good choice with the larger tank. Oscars arent as aggresive as CA's but i did have a bummble bee oscar take over a 6ft 150 gal. Tank mates were mild but still nothing is guaranteed with cichlids. I ened up having to rehome the oscar he just would play well with the milder tank mates.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
/\ as if thats really gonna make any difference tho lol, i know your rules on invasive species, killing snakeheads ect but its not gonna make any difference, once they are there and breeding in numbers you will 'never' stop them!

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
I agree, because a 75 gal is about the size of truck sized rut (puddle) in the road.
The rule, that I adhere to in my own tanks is (especially if you are going to have more than 1 fish in a tank) is 10 gallons of water (space) per inch of fish.
So a 75 gal, is only big enough for two or three 7.5 inch fish.
Your oscar (by my rule of thumb), is already too big for a 75.
And by this logic, you couldn't keep a one-inch Molly in a 5 gallon.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I agree, because a 75 gal is about the size of truck sized rut (puddle) in the road.
The rule, that I adhere to in my own tanks is (especially if you are going to have more than 1 fish in a tank) is 10 gallons of water (space) per inch of fish.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Duane is one of the most hardcore and well respected fishkeeper on this site. Stick around a little bit longer and you'll find this out for yourself. When duane "speak" you should listen......I do.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I agree with Duane on a lot of things, but not completely on this one.

IMO there's no hard & fast rule to keeping fish regarding size of the fish, and size of the tank. Different rules apply for different fish that have different species type behaviours, and sometimes even individual mannerisms. While bigger is almost always better when it comes to keeping fish, there's exceptions to every rule that's been created in this hobby.

IMO a 75 gallon is plenty big enough for a 9" oscar, and even beyond, but if your O has the genetic potential to reach 13"+ a 100+ gallon tank would be more suitable in the long run. Even in a 125, if you add more fish be prepared to be doing large frequent water changes.

Water quality is the real key in keeping fish healthy long term.

Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store