Native fish or other cichlids with Tiger Oscar in a 75g?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I once had an Oscar and a Rock Bass together in a tank. They have a similar body shape, other than the fact that the oscar was a bit bulkier, but they did well together. However, this was given that they were almost the exact same size.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
If you get a big enough tank x2 on this. Rock bass are my favorite Sunfish, even though they are plainer, they have loads of personality. Mine also gets along great with my Oscars, though of course each fish may be different.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Duane, that poster used a 1 inch molly, in reference to your comment of
10 gallons of water (space) per inch of fish
Obviously in nature most fish live in much larger spaces than hobbyists provide.

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
/\ as if thats really gonna make any difference tho lol, i know your rules on invasive species, killing snakeheads ect but its not gonna make any difference, once they are there and breeding in numbers you will 'never' stop them!
You're right, but it just goes against my love of the US's ecosystem to release a destructive beast like an oscar back into nature. It's the same with Asian Carp in the Mississippi river basin nowadays. Tragic IMO.

To the OP: I second rock bass but if you can find a Green Sunfish check those out, they are very similar to Rock Bass but the colors are more vibrant have very cool patterns on the cheek area.

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
For those who think a 5 gal tank is adequat for a molly (although I think a 5gal might be a good grow out tank for molly fry), take a look at how they live in nature.
I took this video last year in Eden Cenote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txmi1mng_XQ
This video is awesome! Those JD's are massive! not to mention the mollies. I've been told that mollies prefer brackish, but seeing all the cichlids I'm assuming that this was purely freshwater? Remarkable vid either way.

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
Rock fish huh? I have a couple red eyed rock bass in my pond. They swim around with the sunfish.....I never thought of them as potential tank mates but it sounds pretty cool. At this point, I'm pretty certain it's going to come down to a pumpkinseed sunfish, rock bass, bullhead, or another Oscar.....I have a feeling the Oscar be better paired up with the rock bass or other Oscar though.

Anyway, I checked out some tank set ups at a couple fish stores and had some questions. Checked out a top fin 125g set up. $560 gets you tank, lid, stand, and 2 lights. Is this a good deal? Also looked at the 150g version which actually looked like it was better space-wise as it was taller and deeper but not longer (48" vs 72"). I liked that it would take up less space but not sure if my Oscar would enjoy having a longer tank to swim in....if that makes any sense

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The cenote is less than a mile from the Caribbean Sea, so it is slightly brackish.
The mollies in the video are nearly 5", but I have seen much larger ones, the largest (maybe 8") are brilliant blue, and live at depths below 10ft, where males seemed to hold and defend territories the size of a small car.
I have never seen such amazing mollies in aquaria, and conclude that the space required for that kind of growth is seldom provided.
This video is awesome! Those JD's are massive! not to mention the mollies. I've been told that mollies prefer brackish, but seeing all the cichlids I'm assuming that this was purely freshwater? Remarkable vid either way.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Rock fish huh? I have a couple red eyed rock bass in my pond. They swim around with the sunfish.....I never thought of them as potential tank mates but it sounds pretty cool. At this point, I'm pretty certain it's going to come down to a pumpkinseed sunfish, rock bass, bullhead, or another Oscar.....I have a feeling the Oscar be better paired up with the rock bass or other Oscar though.

Anyway, I checked out some tank set ups at a couple fish stores and had some questions. Checked out a top fin 125g set up. $560 gets you tank, lid, stand, and 2 lights. Is this a good deal? Also looked at the 150g version which actually looked like it was better space-wise as it was taller and deeper but not longer (48" vs 72"). I liked that it would take up less space but not sure if my Oscar would enjoy having a longer tank to swim in....if that makes any sense

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
$560 for a brand new set up with most of the essentials is a good deal. I would go with longer length.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store