Native fish or other cichlids with Tiger Oscar in a 75g?

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
Thanks for all the replies....I'm new to larger tanks (55g+) so I'm not 100% sure what to look for......but like I said I've been told 75g is ok for ONE full grown oscar.

Get him a nice 6 ft tank, put a fx6 or an eheim 2260 and a big sponge filter with a powerhead and you will be treating your Oscar decent. They deserve the best care but they will reward you with the best wet pet experience possible.
Yeah.....I think I'm just going to spring for a 125 gallon tank because I really would like to add another fish and obviously I want to give my Oscar the best living space short of a large pond or something. Only issue is those tanks are a bit expensive and are huggggee (I'm 6'2 so it's my size lol) but I'm sure it's worth it

Is this recommended set up what I should look for or is there something else I might need? I'm leaning towards adding a brown bullhead with him. Maybe another Oscar as well.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Thanks for all the replies....I'm new to larger tanks (55g+) so I'm not 100% sure what to look for......but like I said I've been told 75g is ok for ONE full grown oscar.

Yeah.....I think I'm just going to spring for a 125 gallon tank because I really would like to add another fish and obviously I want to give my Oscar the best living space short of a large pond or something. Only issue is those tanks are a bit expensive and are huggggee (I'm 6'2 so it's my size lol) but I'm sure it's worth it

Is this recommended set up what I should look for or is there something else I might need? I'm leaning towards adding a brown bullhead with him. Maybe another Oscar as well.
Good choice, and in a 125 your tankmate options soar, you could do a kingking parrot, a shoal of redhooks, a chocolate cichlid or a dempsey.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
And dont forget, beautiful tiger and red Oscars are now native in many places in the US, one of those would be a great pair for you CB Oscar.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Well if u follow the 1inch per gallon rule 75 is fine for a oscar just my opinion tho
Applying the 1in per gallon rule, it would mean that his 6" oscar would be ok in a 10gal tank LOL

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA

I'm glad you have the option, and are choosing, to go for a 6' tank. Petsmarts by me usually have 125gal full set-ups for a very good price, and also keep an eye on Craigslist. Sometine these CL people ask outragous price but just make an offer....all they can do is say "no". I won't pay more than $2 per gallon for good condition 100gal+ (tank only). Good luck

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
1 inch per gallon rule says that a 13 inch oscar thats 6 inch high and 2 inch thick means you do 13x6x2=156g tank alone. lots of people get the real 1inch per gallon rule confused.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Well if u follow the 1inch per gallon rule 75 is fine for a oscar just my opinion tho
1 inch per gallon rule says that a 13 inch oscar thats 6 inch high and 2 inch thick means you do 13x6x2=156g tank alone. lots of people get the real 1inch per gallon rule confused.
I agree, but if you read the post above, the poster is obviously only applying 'fish length'......like most people who have heard of this rule

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Also wanted to add that not all oscars are angry killing machines. It all depends on their personality. My Oscar is very docile and has no interest in anything too big to fit into his mouth. He's never shown any signs of aggression.

On the other hand, keeping natives, I had a bluegill who was out of control. .he was a certifiable maniac. The meanest fish I've ever seen. He got rehomed because he couldn't play nice.

It all depends on the fish's personality

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
If you're going to do a 125 then your oscar and a brown bullhead could work.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I second the bullhead. It should do great with an O. I think if those are the only two fish you plan to put in there you could get by maybe with a 90g or one of those 5ft 120g. But if you have the money and space to go bigger you should.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store