ox liver vs ckickets and roaches for giant fish.

Vlekkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Roodepoort
My Giant gourami use to eat Hikari pallets to get protein in. About a month ago she stopped eating any pallets. She is currently 24inch big.

She need to get her to eat some proteins, how good is it to feed her some ox liver? Or must I rather feed her crickets, roaches and life insects.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
How long was she on pellets? I would look into what caused her to stop eating them. Is she eating anything at all now?

Reactions: predatorkeeper87

Vlekkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Roodepoort
From 2 inch she's been on a variety of food, vegetables, 4 different Hikari pallets, Hikari Ciclid Gold, HiKari Ciclid Stable, Hikari Ciclid Bio plus and Hikari algae wafers and Tetra XL ciclid sticks. The only one from all the Hikari food she still eat is the algae wafers. She might be big but she is still growing bigger. She eat lots of different vegetables almost every day because she doesn't want to eat pallets.she need to get some proteins in.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Get bigger pellets?

Reactions: convict360

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I would definitely consider finding out why she stopped eating a staple food that's been in her diet so long. pellet size may be it but if she can still see them she shouldn't hesitate to eat them.

Reactions: HumanBean

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most true gouramis become more and more vegetarian as they age, Once mine hit 16+" they lived on low protein pellets, romaine lettuce, and peas. I believe the peas provide all the protein needed.
Ox liver, and mammalian meat is highly UN-digestable for even the most protein requiring fish.

Vlekkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Roodepoort
My Giant gourami is only 2 years old. She love bloodworms but I don't think it got all the protein she requires. She grew the last 3 months more in width than in length but she still grow slowly in length. She is still young and you can see she is still not adult size.

I've seen fully grown GG and she still got a long way to go. I know they only mature after about 9 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store