Monster 16-Pound Bass Caught in California

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Question, lets just say there are two lakes in your neighborhood, lake A carp are overloaded, killed off everything in there, 1 mile down the road, lake b, carp are in there and co-existing and not overloaded, are they still considered trash fish?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Jason, it's obviously that you likes carp alot because they're a sportfish to you, but you have to accept the fact that not all folks like the common carps. The common carps will always be trashfish to me. I have two common carps in my goldfish pond and they're best pet I ever have. But don't push your personal beliefs into my throat just because I don't like common carps.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
So there was a guy today that caught a 14 lb 10 oz bass out of Lake javita (in between Tampa and Orlando) Certified and registered with FWC.

image.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Castle

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Did I ever say that everyone likes carp? No. What I said are not personal beliefs nor opinions, they are the facts, facts that you can look up yourself at anytime.

So goldfish are "important" forage for fish, I guess if someone releases Midas cichlids they become important for them as well huh.... So since they are important for the ecosystem they are a good invasive fish to have around? Sounds like to me you are saying or promoting in an odd way that since they are "important" its ok to released tank fish into the wild because bigger fish will eat them, anyone else think that?

People treat all those fish like carp because it interferes with their favorite fish they want to catch so they discard them in hopes of not catching them again. Many fish get the same treatment, as you can see.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
These "facts" you talking about isn't a fact it's just an opinion and a personal opinion of yours. You seems you trying to push your personal beliefs down in my throat constantly about how great the carps are. In my opinion they're just a trashfish to me. More power to ya if you like a common carp.

Goldfish is already established in the metro lakes by idiots, never said they were promoted as forage fish they were just being main forage fish for metro predatory fishes just like round gobies being main forage fish for many predatory fishes. Why? Because they're dirty common. No one is promoting goldfish as forage fish because that would be idiotic.

As for other fish, I treat them like other fish. But if I caught a carp it's gonna be dog food or fertilizer as I will never put them back in the water. But don't let my personal choices to be butthurt for you, Jason.

You like carps. I don't like carps.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
You girls need to just call it quits. Native carp exist and have existed for quite a while. Because they play a role in an eco system. The Asian carp that have been introduced and are obviously and widely known to destroy lakes and rivers are an issue.

This is honestly like talking about gar as a trash fish. Again, they exist because there is a need. But like any fish, bass included, culling a few from a lake at any point and time is a good thing. Wiping any native species out by keeping or killing everything is not a good thing.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Depends on what the type the lakes, not all invasive species are bad. Common carps are seldom a problem in coolwater lakes but they're in low numbers, unlike in warmwater lakes.

Zebra mussels could be good thing for some lakes with algae bloom problem. It's also becoming important food items for rock bass, pumpkinseed, redhorses, yellow perch, drums, round gobies and carps while it also offers shelters for sculpins which leads to an increase in sculpin populations (inland waters, not Great Lakes). But zebra mussels did caused high mortality in fry of smallmouth bass by clearing the water clarity and from predation by sculpins. That's why many smallmouth bass are trophy sized in zebra mussels infected waters with very few young smallmouth bass. We also have problem with northern pikes and largemouth bass getting in trout lakes via illegal stocking and wiping out native trout pretty fast.

Goldfish can be problematic in metro lakes in this state, but they're also important forage fish for muskellunge and tiger muskies.

Brown trout can be good thing in few streams to control stunted Brook trout populations as well as the introduced green sunfish (these dang things are everywhere) and rock bass. These rock bass and green sunfish never get big in trout lakes and trout streams too.

My biggest beef with other anglers are how they treating sturgeons, northern pikes and muskellunges like carp. I find it to be very strange that in recent years many anglers took a dislike on sturgeons and northern pikes. I found a pile full of dead northerns last month. Perfect eating sized ones, yet discard them on ice like trash.
I will agree with you on the fact that Esox and Sturgeon are treated very poorly. Both of those groups of fish are more than worthy sport fish that deserve more attention from anglers. What I find surprising is that fishermen even in the Musky belt find it acceptable to kill them in large quantities.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I had no idea that muskies were treated so poorly by fishermen.I had always thought they were prized or sought after by anglers,so sad.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
These "facts" you talking about isn't a fact it's just an opinion and a personal opinion of yours. You seems you trying to push your personal beliefs down in my throat constantly about how great the carps are. In my opinion they're just a trashfish to me. More power to ya if you like a common carp.

Goldfish is already established in the metro lakes by idiots, never said they were promoted as forage fish they were just being main forage fish for metro predatory fishes just like round gobies being main forage fish for many predatory fishes. Why? Because they're dirty common. No one is promoting goldfish as forage fish because that would be idiotic.

As for other fish, I treat them like other fish. But if I caught a carp it's gonna be dog food or fertilizer as I will never put them back in the water. But don't let my personal choices to be butthurt for you, Jason.

You like carps. I don't like carps.
This again is why I don't like to have a conversation with you, your posts rarely ever make sense. You just made a statement that goldfish are an important forage fish, that's promoting goldfish as being important, how do you expect other to take that when someone that works supposedly for state tells everyone that? If I'm talking to my local game warden and he tells me goldfish are an important forage fish for our musky, that tells me something and others as well and it's not rocket science what it is. Or if he tells me that cats are an important food for yotes, does that mean we should just let all our cats run wild only because the yotes will eat them? No.... Stop and think about what you write for a moment.....

And again, I'm NOT shoving carp down your throat, did I say that in any of my posts? When I speak of trash fish that you refer to them as, I'm speaking about the whole misconception of the trash fish talk, it doesn't just stop at carp, its gar, musky, etc. I don't care what you don't like, doesn't bother me in the least bit but spreading around lies that any fish are trash fish, especially someone working for the state, I would be embarrassed if that was me. You definitely need to be educated.

If what I say aren't facts then prove it. Most opinions are useless, (if not all) as they don't state fact or fiction, opinions are just something we come up with when we really can't figure out if it's the truth or false, real or fake, quick judgments with no supporting facts, etc.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
When did this attitude change toward the musky start?....nevermind.I'm feeling a little like I'm Ben Carson here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store