Any Earless Monitor Keepers out there?

littleg902

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Indianapolis
I get them from other dedicated hobbyist's whose interests are the same as mine. The people who keep them know I'm always looking for more and steer me onto any leads. They're out there as long as you have the funds for em

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
After some thought, have you gotten a stool sample checked at your local Vet for the female giving you feeding problems? it could be something internal....I had a Pine snake capable of eating adult mice, but she wouldn't eat anything with hair so it was mouse pinkies and then RAT pinkies when her mate graduated to prey w/ hair. Some critters get irritated from certain things like hair, shells, urticating hairs, etc - similar to a human getting indigestion or IBS or they may have parasites or bacterial infections.

Just a thought. I KNOW how irritating those problem feeders can be, Dude....lol I feel your pain

I get them from other dedicated hobbyist's whose interests are the same as mine. The people who keep them know I'm always looking for more and steer me onto any leads. They're out there as long as you have the funds for em
I just don't ever remember seeing them available as a buyer or vendor.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

littleg902

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Indianapolis
After some thought, have you gotten a stool sample checked at your local Vet for the female giving you feeding problems? it could be something internal....I had a Pine snake capable of eating adult mice, but she wouldn't eat anything with hair so it was mouse pinkies and then RAT pinkies when her mate graduated to prey w/ hair. Some critters get irritated from certain things like hair, shells, urticating hairs, etc - similar to a human getting indigestion or IBS or they may have parasites or bacterial infections.

Just a thought. I KNOW how irritating those problem feeders can be, Dude....lol I feel your pain

I just don't ever remember seeing them available as a buyer or vendor.
Yeah i get problem feeders every once in awhile. It's especially annoying when you start obbessing about getting them to eat. I've treated with panacure and have done an acriflavion treatment. She's not losing weight and is pretty stable so I try not to think about it.

The ones I've been able to attain come from personal friends that get them imported 'CBB' from Europe lol.

littleg902

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Indianapolis
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I recently isolated this female from the group after witnessing a couple copulations 2 weeks ago. She's gained about 50 grams and shedding since so I'm hoping she's gravid. They would be the first eggs produced outside of Japan. Crossing my fingers. I recently started keeping them in the same water parameters that I keep my Juvie Fly River turtles in and their activity level went through the roof and the male started copulating with the females. I think the high conductivity of the new water stimulates them. But all theories still.

Last edited:

littleg902

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Indianapolis
Man, I remember reading up on these a while ago and thinking "those would make interesting pets, but will probably never reach the trade" and then you come along :D Really cool! I hope they produce offspring for you.
My fingers are crossed right now. It would definitely be a huge success. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.

Last edited:

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
There's a decent number in the states now, although I mainly see them on Facebook groups. Good luck with breeding, the species needs all the bloodlines it has to contribute. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they turned out to be quite easy to breed. Just look at crested geckos. Used to be thought extinct, was rediscovered, imported, and is now one of the most common pet lizards in the hobby.

littleg902

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Indianapolis
There's a decent number in the states now, although I mainly see them on Facebook groups. Good luck with breeding, the species needs all the bloodlines it has to contribute. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they turned out to be quite easy to breed. Just look at crested geckos. Used to be thought extinct, was rediscovered, imported, and is now one of the most common pet lizards in the hobby.
That's the eventual goal.... Borneo will be one big giant palm oil plantation in a few years and there will be nothin left. Hopefully there are enough specimens in private hands to get a good captive base established. They are super easy to keep for the most part... But all behavior and info on them at the moment is a question mark. Believe it or not listing these on CITIES is one of the worst things they can do to protect these

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
That's the eventual goal.... Borneo will be one big giant palm oil plantation in a few years and there will be nothin left. Hopefully there are enough specimens in private hands to get a good captive base established. They are super easy to keep for the most part... But all behavior and info on them at the moment is a question mark. Believe it or not listing these on CITIES is one of the worst things they can do to protect these
I agree entirely, although I suspect there are more out there than we realize. With their fossorial nature they're unlikely to be found, which likely contributes to their perceived rarity. Borneo is certainly in dire straits, captivity is likely the best option for much of its native species

Reactions: littleg902
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store