Ever seen a Gymnothorax javanicus?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I've seen 8+ years old tessie and it's not even reach 4 foots, and other guy have a tess less than 2 years and its reached close to 4 foots. It could be the owner didn't give the tess a best condition or it's just its own nature genetic.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Well, my Rock Beauty Angel disappeared this morning!
I was try to remove it few times but this bugger used live rocks as it defend and I don't want to tear my tank a part trying to catch it, It was lived together with my Tessie for very very long time so I thought my tessie will leave it alone...Predator is still a predator after all.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I was try to remove it few times but this bugger used live rocks as it defend and I don't want to tear my tank a part trying to catch it, It was lived together with my Tessie for very very long time so I thought my tessie will leave it alone...Predator is still a predator after all.
That sucks! How big was the angel? How big was the eel?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
That sucks! How big was the angel? How big was the eel?
The Rock Beauty Angel roughly close to 8 inches...
My Tess roughly 36 inches...
Now, it will live with a bunch of damsels and cleaner shrimps (I bet down the road only cleaner shrimp will left in tank and its only buddies :p).
Edit:
The Angel and the Tess lived together for close to 2 years.

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Well, that sucks hardcore, but that wasn't unexpected.

The Rock Beauty Angel roughly close to 8 inches...
My Tess roughly 36 inches...
Now, it will live with a bunch of damsels and cleaner shrimps (I bet down the road only cleaner shrimp will left in tank and its only buddies :p).
Edit:
The Angel and the Tess lived together for close to 2 years.
Let's hope it doesn't start considering the cleaners as food.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Let's hope it doesn't start considering the cleaners as food.
I don't think it will harm my cleaner shrimps, I saw cleaner shrimp often went into the Tess mouth and come out safely, it just can close it mouth and the shrimp will be a goner but it patienly wait for the shrimp exist before close its mouth. It usually will shake it head and the shrimp will come out right away...like a signal for the shrimp.

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I've never heard of any large fish eating a cleaner. Now the damsels... are another story
The damsels might eat the cleaner? Woah!

I don't think it will harm my cleaner shrimps, I saw cleaner shrimp often went into the Tess mouth and come out safely, it just can close it mouth and the shrimp will be a goner but it patienly wait for the shrimp exist before close its mouth. It usually will shake it head and the shrimp will come out right away...like a signal for the shrimp.
Well, usually in captivity it's only a matter of time till it gets eaten. Some people get lucky and don't have them eaten, but often the cleaner will end up eaten. Naturally, most of these predators go to the cleaners to get cleaned, they don't continually live in the same area.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Yeah, large fish almost always will leave the cleaner shrimp alone. They have nothing to benefit from eating the cleaner shrimp - they are usually a massive predatory fish, eating one tiny shrimp would be like eating half of a potato chip for them. And they do benefit from the shrimp being alive, because they keep the fish's mouth clean (hence the name cleaner shrimp, lol)

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
The damsels might eat the cleaner? Woah!

Well, usually in captivity it's only a matter of time till it gets eaten. Some people get lucky and don't have them eaten, but often the cleaner will end up eaten. Naturally, most of these predators go to the cleaners to get cleaned, they don't continually live in the same area.
Lol you misunderstood a bit, I was talking about the eels eating the damsels. I don't think damsels would eat a cleaner shrimp.

I have never heard of a cleaner shrimp being eaten by a large fish (with the exception of something like a pufferfish or a triggerfish). Read my response to Yuki right above this post

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store