Ever seen a Gymnothorax javanicus?

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Yeah, large fish almost always will leave the cleaner shrimp alone. They have nothing to benefit from eating the cleaner shrimp - they are usually a massive predatory fish, eating one tiny shrimp would be like eating half of a potato chip for them. And they do benefit from the shrimp being alive, because they keep the fish's mouth clean (hence the name cleaner shrimp, lol)
I don't think I would skip out on half a potato chip lol. I'd always heard it was a gamble, but if it's that easy to keep them together then I will try it out myself.

Lol you misunderstood a bit, I was talking about the eels eating the damsels. I don't think damsels would eat a cleaner shrimp.

I have never heard of a cleaner shrimp being eaten by a large fish (with the exception of something like a pufferfish or a triggerfish). Read my response to Yuki right above this post
Ah I see. The phrasing was a bit weird, but yeah. I, on the other hand, have heard that most large predators in a tank are a gamble with cleaner shrimp. Since they're confined in the same space, some predatory fish, including morays and groupers, will actually end up eating the shrimp.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I'd always heard it was a gamble, but if it's that easy to keep them together then I will try it out myself.
I, on the other hand, have heard that most large predators in a tank are a gamble with cleaner shrimp. Since they're confined in the same space, some predatory fish, including morays and groupers, will actually end up eating the shrimp.
It's all depend on fish species.
*Shrimp won't be safe with puffer, trigger, hawk fish, grouper....etc
*Shrimp should be ok with large/dwarf angelfish, LARGE toothy eels (Juv. eel tent to eat everything they can find), pebble tooth eels like Zebra, Snowflake would eat the shrimp.
Here is a video of my Tessie (sorry the tank light went out in middle but I turn it on for full tank shot at the end) and you can see few of my Fire shrimp with my tess (these fire shrimps are 2+ years old in same tank with my Tessie) :)
My tank water circulation is almost 10k gph.

Reactions: Chub_by

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
It's all depend on fish species.
*Shrimp won't be safe with puffer, trigger, hawk fish, grouper....etc
*Shrimp should be ok with large/dwarf angelfish, LARGE toothy eels (Juv. eel tent to eat everything they can find), pebble tooth eels like Zebra, Snowflake would eat the shrimp.
Here is a video of my Tessie (sorry the tank light went out in middle but I turn it on for full tank shot at the end) and you can see few of my Fire shrimp with my tess (these fire shrimps are 2+ years old in same tank with my Tessie) :)
My tank water circulation is almost 10k gph.
Hmm makes sense. And nice specimen you've got there. Your substrate, is that sand? It looks sort of rough. Anyway, nice setup :D

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Hmm makes sense. And nice specimen you've got there. Your substrate, is that sand? It looks sort of rough. Anyway, nice setup :D
Thanks! It's sand mixed with small crushed coral, I got strong water movement circulation in my tank so its getting stir up create different view from time to time :p. My Tessie pushed all the substrate out of it favorite spot to front tank :p I was thought to take out the sand but I don't really like bare bottom so I just keep it like that. Also, its having skin pattern transition of breaking big spot into smaller spots, hopefully it will turn out good looking beast :p

Last edited:
Reactions: LadAShark

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Thanks! It's sand mixed with small crushed coral, I got strong water movement circulation in my tank so its getting stir up create different view from time to time :p. My Tessie pushed all the substrate out of it favorite spot to front tank :p I was thought to take out the sand but I don't really like bare bottom so I just keep it like that. Also, its having skin pattern transition of breaking big spot into smaller spots, hopefully it will turn out good looking beast :p
Do you want to make it have even smaller and more spots? Research indicates that when the water is more turbulent, the tessalata will develop more small spots. And I also dislike bare bottom, it's just the crushed coral looked like clumped sand so I was wondering haha. Unfortunately I am a shark tank obsessor, so crushed coral is a no no as it will scrape the shark's belly.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Do you want to make it have even smaller and more spots? Research indicates that when the water is more turbulent, the tessalata will develop more small spots. And I also dislike bare bottom, it's just the crushed coral looked like clumped sand so I was wondering haha. Unfortunately I am a shark tank obsessor, so crushed coral is a no no as it will scrape the shark's belly.
Yeah, I read that information a while back but I'm really not all in for that.
I keep strong water movement in my tank for different purpose :p
I'm dosing vodka daily to keep nitrate at 0ppm or at least undetectable from API test kit, so well strong circulation is a must to keep my water well Oxygenated :)
I'll upload some more pictures later today.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Here is damsels pack...Mini beast LOL always fight each other and the loser most likely will become my Tess snack!
20160903_131659.jpg
Here is almost full length shot of my tess, you can see some transition break fading spot on it body.20160903_132707.jpg
And the skunk cleaner shrimp cleaning it mouth!
20160903_131745.jpg

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Yeah, I read that information a while back but I'm really not all in for that.
I keep strong water movement in my tank for different purpose :p
I'm dosing vodka daily to keep nitrate at 0ppm or at least undetectable from API test kit, so well strong circulation is a must to keep my water well Oxygenated :)
I'll upload some more pictures later today.
Hmm, I've heard of organic carbon (aka vodka) dosing before, is it really all that effective? I might need to use it to keep a shark tanks nitrates low, though since the sharks I am working on keeping are deep water sharks, which are resilient to nutrients and metals in water. Heck, I'm wondering if it's possible they might even need it. I will be building a fluidized sand/bioball filter, an algae scrubber, and the tank, and I intend to buy the skimmer if it appears that those are not enough. I am considering my choices for mechanical filtration, and wondering if it would even be worthwhile having. A lot of my time, however, is gonna be spent treating the sharks for parasites :/

I am considering hitting up some diy forums after I find a person to make the glass for the tank, which will be 2 meters cubed— around 528 gallons. I am wondering what would be the most effective way to maintain the tank with minimal water changes (or implement an automatic water change system). I can go on and on lol

Here is damsels pack...Mini beast LOL always fight each other and the loser most likely will become my Tess snack!
View attachment 1202810
Here is almost full length shot of my tess, you can see some transition break fading spot on it body.View attachment 1202812
And the skunk cleaner shrimp cleaning it mouth!
View attachment 1202811
Damn this photo really makes it clear how nice looking your tess is. Question though, what do you plan to do with it when it inevitably reaches 6 feet? It even technically has the capability of reaching 9 feet.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Question though, what do you plan to do with it when it inevitably reaches 6 feet? It even technically has the capability of reaching 9 feet.
My Tess already showing the sign of slowing down the grow rate, its more started building its body grit so I would have another 3~4 years before it reach 5 foots. I'm planning to built a 10x4x4 foots to house several Japanese Dragon Moray...Still long way to go and saving up some money :)
*Carbon dosing is effective as long you commit yourself to dose daily and even if you go out of town someone must taken care that task for you. Carbon dosing for FOWLR take a lot more vodka per day though, following the carbon reef chart dose will be fine but most likely will take years for it to take effect with that large tank.
Notes:
*Reef tank has low Nitrate level to begin with so it easier to get it down with carbon dosing.
*FOWLR Nitrate mostly start at Nitrate 80+ppm after fully cycled so it will take longer to get Nitrate down and most of the time folks gave up half way and goes around saying it doesn't work. :p

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
My Tess already showing the sign of slowing down the grow rate, its more started building its body grit so I would have another 3~4 years before it reach 5 foots. I'm planning to built a 10x4x4 foots to house several Japanese Dragon Moray...Still long way to go and saving up some money :)
*Carbon dosing is effective as long you commit yourself to dose daily and even if you go out of town someone must taken care that task for you. Carbon dosing for FOWLR take a lot more vodka per day though, following the carbon reef chart dose will be fine but most likely will take years for it to take effect with that large tank.
Notes:
*Reef tank has low Nitrate level to begin with so it easier to get it down with carbon dosing.
*FOWLR Nitrate mostly start at Nitrate 80+ppm after fully cycled so it will take longer to get Nitrate down and most of the time folks gave up half way and goes around saying it doesn't work. :p
Hmm, seems like a lot of trouble that could just be handled with an algae scubber.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store