Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Somehow I missed this post....we're good, you never need to thank me for fishing advice - seeing you younger guys learn catch-and-release and learn-and-teach others safe fishing practice is more than I could ask for. Encourage harvest for stocked and invasive species, and "Catch-and-release" native species that have to fight to survive.
I am actually going to try catching some (introduced) bluegill to fish for sharptooth catfish this weekend. Are live worms on float or spinners better for bluegill.

And cutting them up if they are big will make good smelly bait right?

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
went fishing on relatively cool day at big lake
just caught some little bitty yellow perch 6-9in (nothing picture worthy)
I was looking some brown bullheads which rather than swallowing the hook as soon as the bait hits the bottom, like they normally do where no where to be found. I plan on going up there again if we get another warm day this year, if not, then its back to trout fishing for me

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I am actually going to try catching some (introduced) bluegill to fish for sharptooth catfish this weekend. Are live worms on float or spinners better for bluegill.

And cutting them up if they are big will make good smelly bait right?
no, use everything you catch....... alive.......just don't hook it through a vital spot....the nostrils or lips. They will heal w/ salt and/or stress coat if they survive the trials of baitfish. It is what it is.......you want to catch monsters, you make sacrifices. Those sacrifices aren't always yours. I still feel bad about my largest catches. This is fishing. Do it or don't. You can use lures all you want and the techniques are what you make them. This is not the kindest sport in the world. WE use fish many MFK members cherish, just so you know what you are getting into......not very different from killing rodents for pet snakes and Varanids

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
no, use everything you catch....... alive.......just don't hook it through a vital spot....the nostrils or lips. They will heal w/ salt and/or stress coat if they survive the trials of baitfish. It is what it is.......you want to catch monsters, you make sacrifices. Those sacrifices aren't always yours. I still feel bad about my largest catches. This is fishing. Do it or don't. You can use lures all you want and the techniques are what you make them. This is not the kindest sport in the world. WE use fish many MFK members cherish, just so you know what you are getting into......not very different from killing rodents for pet snakes and Varanids
... i am ready to kill and dice a fish as bait, hooking it maybe. My tackle is fairly light so idk how well it will work.

My line is 22lb braid, i might carp fish then use a float pole with worms for live bait in daylight then switch to catfish in the evening unless we are doing something then. This is for downtime on a canoe course

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
... i am ready to kill and dice a fish as bait, hooking it maybe. My tackle is fairly light so idk how well it will work.

My line is 22lb braid, i might carp fish then use a float pole with worms for live bait in daylight then switch to catfish in the evening unless we are doing something then. This is for downtime on a canoe course
use them live while you can....live fish always works better. I only use cut-bait or fish-heads if my bait dies on the end of my hook or I bring extras from the freezer. Best bet is fillet the fish, and put the 2 fillets back to back on the hook (scaled side to scaled side) so nothing but boneless meat is exposed on both sides

I only use 20lb mono for our Flatheads, everything else I fish for gets lighter line and we also catch some of our biggest cats in the middle of the day - you don't have to fish for cats at night contrary to popular belief. Some of my biggest were just before lunch

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
use them live while you can....live fish always works better. I only use cut-bait or fish-heads if my bait dies on the end of my hook or I bring extras from the freezer. Best bet is fillet the fish, and put the 2 fillets back to back on the hook (scaled side to scaled side) so nothing but boneless meat is exposed on both sides

I only use 20lb mono for our Flatheads, everything else I fish for gets lighter line and we also catch some of our biggest cats in the middle of the day - you don't have to fish for cats at night contrary to popular belief. Some of my biggest were just before lunch
I have no real means of keeping bait alive but dead bait i can do. I plan on trying to beat my PB carp (7lbs) by day then fishijg for cats at night. I have heard chances are best at night when the cats hunt actively and so on.

I dont wanna respool the reel so im keeping the braid on. I also got 2 more spinners for bass and bluegill if i want to try that

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I have no real means of keeping bait alive but dead bait i can do. I plan on trying to beat my PB carp (7lbs) by day then fishijg for cats at night. I have heard chances are best at night when the cats hunt actively and so on.

I dont wanna respool the reel so im keeping the braid on. I also got 2 more spinners for bass and bluegill if i want to try that
best bet for Carp is get there at the crack of dawn.....they feed quite actively in the early hours

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

Also, I have caught plenty of Carp in my life, but never on dough-baits/boullies - every Carp I have caught was either on worms or corn. Try chumming the area you will be fishing for carp the night before w/ handfuls of corn - they will stay in a given area as long as there is food there. While you're catches on corn will be limited by species, using worms will certainly broaden your horizons as ANY fish that swims will eat worms at some point.

My suggestion is set out as many rods as you possibly can use and vary the baits, or even 2-3 different baits is good. We can use 3 rods per person, so often we will set up 6 rods w/ 6 DIFFERENT baits when we go, especially if multiple species are present. Just remember to set your drag light on any rods with less than 8-10lb line. You'd be surprised how many BIG fish I have landed on 4-6lb mono, you just have to use your drag, be smart and play them out. I have caught Carp well over 3 feet on 6lb mono. Push yourself and test your limits and you will become a better fisherman in the long run

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Boilies are wonderbait here. I just have the afternoon though (maybe the next morning )

I will only have one rod, next time i carp fish ill use both rods but i canr bring both with unfortunately

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store