Cichlid Guessing Game, CA/SA Cichlids Only!!

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think many of us know the difference between Herichthys carpintis and Herichthys cyanaguttatus.
A common name is what the fish is commonly called. Whether you like it or not, one of the common names for Herichthys carpintis is Texas cichlid. It is commonly called that even by those who are well aware of the differences between the 2 species. It has been called this by many, for at least 50 years.
Fish often have more then one common name. The names can be completely different from one place to another. Often, the names are not the same at all, in other languages. And they change over time. Many of the common names used for cichlids when I started in the hobby in the early '70's are completely different today! Through out the animal and plant kingdom, often a common name will refer to a whole group of species rather then just one.
And don't try to argue that because Herichthys carpintis doesn't come from Texas it can't be called a Texas cichlid. All kinds of common names can include countries or places that an animal or plant doesn't come from. Chinese algae eater, just one example of many. H. cyanguttatus is barely found in Texas. It's predominantly found in Mexico, as is H. carpinitis.
As was mentioned by Stanzzz7, many organisms can have the same common name. And most can have many more then just one. Use scientific names (both genus and specific name!) if you want to be clear and precise about what species you are referring to.
Thank you,that was what I was trying to put across, you articulated it better than I.

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016
I think many of us know the difference between Herichthys carpintis and Herichthys cyanaguttatus.
A common name is what the fish is commonly called. Whether you like it or not, one of the common names for Herichthys carpintis is Texas cichlid. It is commonly called that even by those who are well aware of the differences between the 2 species. It has been called this by many, for at least 50 years.
Fish often have more then one common name. The names can be completely different from one place to another. Often, the names are not the same at all, in other languages. And they change over time. Many of the common names used for cichlids when I started in the hobby in the early '70's are completely different today! Through out the animal and plant kingdom, often a common name will refer to a whole group of species rather then just one.
And don't try to argue that because Herichthys carpintis doesn't come from Texas it can't be called a Texas cichlid. All kinds of common names can include countries or places that an animal or plant doesn't come from. Chinese algae eater, just one example of many. H. cyanguttatus is barely found in Texas. It's predominantly found in Mexico, as is H. carpinitis.
As was mentioned by Stanzzz7, many organisms can have the same common name. And most can have many more then just one. Use scientific names (both genus and specific name!) if you want to be clear and precise about what species you are referring to.
Isn't that exactly what I just got done saying in other words... Lol thanks for backing me up.

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016
it's because of ppl like u that other ppl in the hobby get mislead about the fish they keep... The fact is they are not the same fish and if u tell ppl differently u should be ashamed of ur self

BC in SK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
canada
it's because of ppl like u that other ppl in the hobby get mislead about the fish they keep... The fact is they are not the same fish and if u tell ppl differently u should be ashamed of ur self
Is this a joke?:D When did I say they were the same fish?
Common names are what they are. I'm not misleading nobody. I favour scientific names, particularly when you want to be more precise about what you are referring to.
Festivum, severum, Green Terror, Blue Acara, jewel cichlid. Just a few examples of common names, like Texas cichlid, that refer to more then one species. And with the more recent classification, add convict cichlid and Jack Dempsey as common names that also refer to more then one species. Nothing peculiar about the common name, Texas Cichlid, as a common name referring to numerous species is widespread through out the entire animal and plant kingdom.

Reactions: Jason_S

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016
No one is saying they are the same fish,just that they share a common name.
A Texas cichlid and a pearlscale cichlid don't share a common name they share the same family they are in and that is thre point of post... So ppl know the difference

Lil g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016
Is this a joke?:D When did I say they were the same fish?
Common names are what they are. I'm not misleading nobody. I favour scientific names, particularly when you want to be more precise about what you are referring to.
Festivum, severum, Green Terror, Blue Acara, jewel cichlid. Just a few examples of common names, like Texas cichlid, that refer to more then one species. And with the more recent classification, add convict cichlid and Jack Dempsey as common names that also refer to more then one species. Nothing peculiar about the common name, Texas Cichlid, as a common name referring to numerous species is widespread through out the entire animal and plant kingdom.
a Texas cichlid is a Texas cichlid and the name should not be used for any other fish. I've met a ton of ppl over the course of a year that don't know the difference ND it's because of ppl like u that see a carpintis and refer to it as a texas cichlid misleading them... Ppl that haven't been in the hobby for 90 years don't know the difference.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
There are two fish in the heritchthys family that have been called texas cichlid for years.
Most of us here know the difference, the back ground story, the locations and all the other silly names associated.
There are plenty of other fish in the heritchthys family that never get tagged with the texas cichlid name.
You are not really telling us anything new or anything that has not been discussed many times before.
Like it or not most people just call them texas cichlids.

BC in SK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
canada
a Texas cichlid is a Texas cichlid and the name should not be used for any other fish.
A common name is what it is commonly called. It is not up to you or any particular person, what name becomes commonly used.
Whether you like it or not, and what ever you think people ought to do....that is just the reality of ALL common names.

Reactions: Empyreal

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Three. I've seen the Media Luna lab's called "Yellow Texas" several times.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store