College life

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Yup finished my microbio major and now just the chem minor, I like chem but this class kinda sucks.
do you need a minor to graduate?
the physics program here requires a minor. not that i mind. i wish i had time to minor in more subjects.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
im so excited to graduate.
im gonna vent for anyone that wants to read it.
this has been a long time coming. this is my 6th consecutive year as an undergrad. its actually my seventh year on paper as an undergrad.
when i graduated high school i went straight to college. a year later i had passed one class and failed seven haha.
i took a couple years off and went back. two years of community first then back to nmsu. back to where my failed classes had happened.
well, turned out that my awesome 0.3 gpa was still hanging around. and I've slowly been bringing that back up to a 3.0. not easy. summer classes every summer. extra classes to help boost my gpa. not that i minded the extra classes. i love learning. i paid for my first semester out of pocket because they wouldn't give me financial aid or loans while on academic suspension.
i feel like I've been climbing a steep mountain and am currently a stones throw away from the top. feels good.

/rant

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
do you need a minor to graduate?
the physics program here requires a minor. not that i mind. i wish i had time to minor in more subjects.
this has been a long time coming. this is my 6th consecutive year as an undergrad. its actually my seventh year on paper as an undergrad.
when i graduated high school i went straight to college. a year later i had passed one class and failed seven haha.
i took a couple years off and went back. two years of community first then back to nmsu. back to where my failed classes had happened.
well, turned out that my awesome 0.3 gpa was still hanging around. and I've slowly been bringing that back up to a 3.0. not easy. summer classes every summer. extra classes to help boost my gpa. not that i minded the extra classes. i love learning. i paid for my first semester out of pocket because they wouldn't give me financial aid or loans while on academic suspension.
i feel like I've been climbing a steep mountain and am currently a stones throw away from the top. feels good.

/rant
Minor not required but I wanted it.

But thats a great story, good for you for working so hard. I knew you were in school because of past posts but never heard this back story. Almost there :)

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Minor not required but I wanted it.

But thats a great story, good for you for working so hard. I knew you were in school because of past posts but never heard this back story. Almost there :)
pretty sure I've never posted that story here. or anywhere really. its kind of shameful haha. i was just feeling good last night while working on homework... and while attempting to make whiskey sours.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
pretty sure I've never posted that story here. or anywhere really. its kind of shameful haha. i was just feeling good last night while working on homework... and while attempting to make whiskey sours.
Hey whiskey sours while doing homework is the best :)

But I would feel anything but shame man, great comeback from being so far behind. Keep it up.

Reactions: ehh

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here

/rant
You definitely have the growth mindset that professionals are seeking nowadays. Dude share you story/experience with your future employer, I'm sure they would love to know how you persevere throughout hardship and endure through the pain to get to where you are today.

Reactions: isde02 and ehh

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
You definitely have the growth mindset that professionals are seeking nowadays. Dude share you story/experience with your future employer, I'm sure they would love to know how you persevere throughout hardship and endure through the pain to get to where you are today.
Thanks. I figured if I was being interviewed it would come up anyways. I solid year of F's on my transcripts haha.

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here
Thanks. I figured if I was being interviewed it would come up anyways. I solid year of F's on my transcripts haha.
I totally agree with you. I think during my first year of undergrad, I probably failed 3/5 courses because I would just sleep in class. It probably wasn't until AFTER I graduated that I started to take my studies more seriously. But man F's on transcripts is definitely something you would have to clarify lol.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
enjoying a nice full week off from school and work. well, kind of off from work. i need to do look over a few things but that will take an afternoon.

took part in an "advisory board meeting" last week. a group of engineers/researchers/science dudes from the surrounding labs (we have a surprising amount of surrounding labs) came and chatted with a few of the undergrads to get feedback on the physics program. after mentioning that i would like to go grad school in physics despite wanting to go into education one of them asked me if id be interested in spending my summers at one of the local laboratories. pretty sweet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store