African Clawed Frog

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
A MUCH better option in a tank MUCH shorter than a 75g. These idiots can't be in a tank taller than 10-12" of they will drown. It's too far for them to swim to surface, so they get halfway and give up and go back down and eventually drown
i wonder if that's why any I had in the past died lol, I'd sometimes find them swollen as hell.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
These r interesting pets,there is also a piebald version,they can be kept with other peaceful fish that are significantly bigger than them.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
i wonder if that's why any I had in the past died lol, I'd sometimes find them swollen as hell.
if the tank you had them in was taller than 10-12", then yes, that's why.....very VERY few people actually know this and think their care is the same as Xenopus laeveis

I think a Dwarf or even a few would be perfect for your little planed Nano

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
if the tank you had them in was taller than 10-12", then yes, that's why.....very VERY few people actually know this and think their care is the same as Xenopus laeveis

I think a Dwarf or even a few would be perfect for your little planed Nano
lol don't tempt me! :p

I do miss their burbling, and random frog mating calls in the middle of the night lol

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
lol don't tempt me! :p

I do miss their burbling, and random frog mating calls in the middle of the night lol
I also want frogs lol. I have a cracked 60 litre that im thinking about. Nice Scaping tropicals, shell dwellers or frogs :eek:

Reactions: tlindsey

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
African clawed frogs are great pets. I have 7 in a 75 gal tank. They were in a 40 breeder but outgrew that tank. I kept dwarf African frogs before (in a small tank) but they aren't nearly as interesting as the larger ones and eventually passed after a year.
As stated above, don't keep them with fishes. They do best in a species only setting. Also, make sure the tank is completely covered. I lost one that got out a small space between the filter and plastic strip on the back of the glass top.

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store