96 x 30 x 24 Tank and Arowana Species

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
You do realise that whilst you guys are still picking through the bones of zugs crazy car crash of a thread, he seems to have vanished. I bet he's abandoned this one and sneakily gone and started another somewhere.

Hats on and dig in, it could be a long one.

• Haha
Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
You do realise that whilst you guys are still picking through the bones of zugs crazy car crash of a thread, he seems to have vanished. I bet he's abandoned this one and sneakily gone and started another somewhere.

In fact I was hoping that would happen as the convo was veering away from Arowana and into filtration etc, which is something even more important Zugs needs to focus on at this point -- so yeah, now it's just some of us weirdo aquatic insane asylum escapees discussing a few finer philosophical points of the hobby. Good luck to anyone who hangs out in the Set up & Filtration sub-forum :)

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
This thread actually ended up pretty epic and satisfying. It threatened to deteriorate into childish name calling and several old beefs resurfaced, but still somehow remained on track. In the end everyone came out knowing exactly where everyone else stands on several issues.

And there was only one unnecessary banning...so far.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Just my preference but i would go with just one species. Probably 12-15 widebar myleus schomburgkii. They are quite impressive fish when full grown. No point keeping thinbars in that tank imo, as they will just be smaller versions of the widebars in your tank. But to each their own i suppose.
Is the a size difference between Wide Bars and Thin Bars? Other than the bar size?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada

lol I'm still here. I just went to Ottawa yesterday and couldn't respond. And that's a good idea ??? lol. Maybe I should revert to being Sneaky Sneaky Zugs. I'm sure the forum would love me for it lol.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
This thread actually ended up pretty epic and satisfying. It threatened to deteriorate into childish name calling and several old beefs resurfaced, but still somehow remained on track. In the end everyone came out knowing exactly where everyone else stands on several issues.

And there was only one unnecessary banning...so far.
I think even after all of the controversy and stigma that occurred, that it was worth it in the end. Whilst being heated most of the time, a lot of info was transferred and a lot of ground was covered. Definitely taught me a lot.

And I think that the one ban that happened was necessary but I'm probably biased lol.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Yes indeed and that is the main difference. The standard schomburgkii usually top out around 6-7" while widebar schomburgkii can get to almost 12" on average.
Well I'm very glad you said that as I had no idea. I guess I will stay away from Thin Bars then. I thought they were all the same but just had differences in cosmetics. I guess it's down to Wide bars and maybe Blackberry's if I can find some.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Well I'm very glad you said that as I had no idea. I guess I will stay away from Thin Bars then. I thought they were all the same but just had differences in cosmetics. I guess it's down to Wide bars and maybe Blackberry's if I can find some.
I dunno much about blackberries except they are pricy lol.

Thinbars are still beautiful fish and if you wanted a larger school vs. a smaller school of widebars you could probably double up on thinbars.

Im probably in the minority here but im more excited about the SD tank than the arowana option. Ive always wanted a large tank full of monster SDs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store