Search results

1. R

Rhamphochromis cf. esox info

Those Rhamps are cool looking, I ran across a couple of Youtube videos showing them. Not much for color, but really a mean looking predator, they remind me of a barracuda. I was just about to ask if anyone knew where I might find some for sale when I ran across this thread. Anyone know of anyone...
  2. R

NEW PROJECT. Concrete. 10x8x6

Why the 12" block? I have built in ground and above ground 8' deep water cisterns from both poured concrete and from block, both with 8" walls, and that worked fine. Just had to have enough rebar in them. Of course they had poured concrete floors and lids too. You must have the glass already...
  3. R

Building a 1500 Gallon plywood & glass tank

How exactly are you planning to seal the joints in the cement board? You mentioned fiberglass strips. I have used fiberglass mesh tape that is used for drywall joints on Hardi board used in a tile job for a shower before. Coated the joint with Thinset, then rolled out the fiberglass tape, then...
  4. R

700 + Aquarium Build

Hi, I just finished reading your thread, and what a great project. I have some questions about using the goop to seal in the glass. I have no experience with goop, and am wondering if it is soft like silicone when it cures? Do you put it between the glass and the front frame so it cushions the...
  5. R

Looking for African cichlids in Arizona

Northern AZ, but visit Phx. occasionally.
  6. R

Looking for African cichlids in Arizona

Post here what you have for sale, or what you are growing out and will be selling soon.
  7. R

Stainless Steel Tanks

I would like to make a comment about using a gasket to seal the glass in also. I have thought about that method quite a bit myself, because I too was concerned about the possibility of the silicone tearing loose because of difference in expansion/contraction rates of dissimilar materials...
  8. R

Stainless Steel Tanks

I built a steel and glass tank, it wasn't stainless though, but I wish it was. I used 12G cold rolled steel and painted it with Palgard Epoxy on the inside and Krylon spray paint on the outside. The dimensions are appr. 108"x 30"x 28". I kept it in a greenhouse were outside temps in the summer...
  9. R

Pool plaster to seal a concrete tank?

I have been looking into the best method for sealing the concrete tank that I'm planning on building, and have read about and experienced adhesion problems with various methods. Epoxy and fiberglass resins are expensive. I have tried rubberized coatings, which I had adhesion problems with, and...
  10. R

Pipe penetrations through concrete tank

I'm thinking about sealing drain and return pipes penetrating through concrete floor and walls of a tank I'm planning. It is done all the time in swimming pools, but I'm not sure how they get the watertight seal. I'm assuming some type of special fittings with compression gaskets to make the...
  11. R

Concrete tank with acrylic viewing window.

My future DIY tank is in the planning stages, and I have read everything I can find on various methods and materials for construction. What I have in mind is a concrete tank with interior dimensions of 128"x96"x72". The water level would come to 64". The viewing window would be 112"x 40", 8"...
  12. R

Suggestion for classifieds

I think it would sure be helpful if everyone noted their location (state, city, country, whatever) at the very beginning of their classified post. If everyone did this in the same way it would be so quick to scroll through the classifieds for anything for sale locally without having to read each...
  13. R

acrylic thickness calculator

Here is a very useful link for figuring how thick to go with on your acrylic for tank building:http://www.sdplastics.com/aquaria1.html
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store