700 + Aquarium Build

DrVader

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2008
AZ
Relatively new here and found this thread; this build from start to finish is phenomenal.... congrats on the tank and call me subscribed for updates!

riftcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2008
Arizona
Hi, I just finished reading your thread, and what a great project.

I have some questions about using the goop to seal in the glass. I have no experience with goop, and am wondering if it is soft like silicone when it cures?
Do you put it between the glass and the front frame so it cushions the glass and forms a gasket like you would when using silicone in a similarly constructed tank?

I don't see how you could do that, since I understand you tilt the tank because the goop is so runny when applied to the corners, so it seems it would not work too well trying to put it between the glass and frame. So I'm thinking you just put the glass against the frame and gooped around the corners from the inside with the tank tilted. Is that right? If so, I would think silicone first between the frame and glass would be good to fill in any gaps between the glass and frame.

But then I'm wondering if the water pressure against the glass would compress the silicone slightly, breaking the seal of the goop on the inside? Or is the goop also flexible, similar to silicone?

Also, I am curious how much gap can the goop fill, how tight did the glass fit on the inside?

Would it be possible to cut through or scrape off the goop if ever there was a reason to remove the glass for a repair?

One thing about your method of tilting the tank to goop the corners, since you have to do a corner at a time, that means the goop sticks to itself after it cures, whereas silicone would not. That is some handy sealer, and since it sticks to both plastic and glass, it sounds like you have come up with a really excellent tank building method.

I have read about many different tank construction methods, and this one really interests me. Putting together a large all glass tank would also be simplified using goop, since you wouldn't have to be in such a rush to silicone it all at once before it started curing.The glass must have to fit together very accurately so the goop doesn't run through any gaps when applying since it is so runny. Or I guess you could tape up any cracks on the outside before applying the goop.

How long do you let it cure before tilting and sealing another corner? Maybe goop sticks to itself best when applying to partially cured goop, or will it stick to completely cured goop? How long until you can fill the tank?

Sorry for so many questions, but this is some exciting stuff for us MFKers.

arl

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Saskatchewan Canada
tcarswell;2633747; said:
Feel free to hit me up for any electrical questions. Ive been a journeyman electrician HVAC guy for 5 years :) Excellent build btw I went back and read from page 1 . You have a very creative and intelligent build here .
tcarswell;2633781; said:
id reccomend a penn zephyr z-6 or z8

I have two 400 watt HPS and two 600 HPS air ventilated hoods with bulbs and digital ballasts if you need them let me know :)
tcarswell;2633840; said:
the lights that I just mentioned were in police evidence locker for 6 months for a reason. I beat the case though being a medical patient and serving strictly terminally ill patients in hospice care.
Thanks tcarswell, when I was shopping for a subpanel I found that it is more expensive than a main panel so I ended up getting a mainpanel acting as a sub panel. any input in this.

professa19

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
id say 2nd coolest build on mfk...

next to the 55k gallon in that dudes basement or w.e....lol

arl

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Saskatchewan Canada
riftcichlids;2697750; said:
Hi, I just finished reading your thread, and what a great project.

I have some questions about using the goop to seal in the glass. I have no experience with goop, and am wondering if it is soft like silicone when it cures?
Do you put it between the glass and the front frame so it cushions the glass and forms a gasket like you would when using silicone in a similarly constructed tank?

I don't see how you could do that, since I understand you tilt the tank because the goop is so runny when applied to the corners, so it seems it would not work too well trying to put it between the glass and frame. So I'm thinking you just put the glass against the frame and gooped around the corners from the inside with the tank tilted. Is that right? If so, I would think silicone first between the frame and glass would be good to fill in any gaps between the glass and frame.

But then I'm wondering if the water pressure against the glass would compress the silicone slightly, breaking the seal of the goop on the inside? Or is the goop also flexible, similar to silicone?

Also, I am curious how much gap can the goop fill, how tight did the glass fit on the inside?

Would it be possible to cut through or scrape off the goop if ever there was a reason to remove the glass for a repair?

One thing about your method of tilting the tank to goop the corners, since you have to do a corner at a time, that means the goop sticks to itself after it cures, whereas silicone would not. That is some handy sealer, and since it sticks to both plastic and glass, it sounds like you have come up with a really excellent tank building method.

I have read about many different tank construction methods, and this one really interests me. Putting together a large all glass tank would also be simplified using goop, since you wouldn't have to be in such a rush to silicone it all at once before it started curing.The glass must have to fit together very accurately so the goop doesn't run through any gaps when applying since it is so runny. Or I guess you could tape up any cracks on the outside before applying the goop.

How long do you let it cure before tilting and sealing another corner? Maybe goop sticks to itself best when applying to partially cured goop, or will it stick to completely cured goop? How long until you can fill the tank?

Sorry for so many questions, but this is some exciting stuff for us MFKers.

Goop is hard when it cures. Not totally hard like epoxy, it will still be a bit flexible kinda like a very hard rubber. Certainly a lot harder than silicone.

The glass sits directly beside the 2X3 frame with nothing in between them glass is not glued to the 2X3. Not really sure if cushioning it would help or would make it worse. The way I see it, glass is harder than wood so why cushion it, as long as it sits flat and even as possible?

The goop tilting method makes the goop sit directly on top of the sheet joins. When goop dries is shrinks to about half the volume. and if it is thick it sometimes creates bubbles so I have to do a retouch of goop once it dries up. curring time depends on how thick the goop is but it will be atleast 2 days for sure.

If you're using goop as a sealer it will have to be applied as runny as possible to avoid having bubbles and yes if there is a space between your glass sheets the goop will run out. My advice though, if youre doing an all glass is just to use silicone, it is cheaper and has been proven. Just remember to use the one for "WINDOWS AND DOOR" and NOT the kitchen and bath!

Peter McFarlane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2007
London
Very cool build man, I salute you!

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
arl;2699571; said:
Thanks tcarswell, when I was shopping for a subpanel I found that it is more expensive than a main panel so I ended up getting a mainpanel acting as a sub panel. any input in this.
No problem at all. Just make sure you don't add more current than is available amps wise for the panel. Now you got a mini_big panel. Just dont go crazy adding 40 amp circuits :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store