700 + Aquarium Build

earthstudent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
Iowa
I also wanted to add that ABS can be heat welded the way PVC is welded. It is another viable option for a tank with a PVC or ABS lining. I am also looking into this option for my tank build.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
earthstudent;4005863; said:
I would like to say I found the E6000 goop that you showed a pic of... It also comes in a formula E6100 that is thicker.
I'd like to hear Arl's thoughts on this, but I wonder if by using the thinner Goop and tilting his tank he got adhesive migrating into the joints and creating not only great surface area for adhesion but also sort of a lock & key type of joint with the cured Goop.

The thicker stuff would be great for running your bead all at once and having a continuous joint but I suspect it would just sit on top of the joint whereas the thinner stuff would partially migrate in.

As far as thermal welding, it is tough to make a waterproof joint with thinner plastics as the heat necessary to melt the plastic can blow through thinner sheets.

All in all I'm liking this approach. For $30 you're getting a 62 mil thick coating.

I think Arl said he found 1.5 gallons of epoxy for $95 Canadian?

Assuming some loss due to textured plywood, it would probably take all 1.5 gallons of epoxy to get the same thickness on a 4x8 sheet of ply. Granted epoxy waterproofs at much thinner thickness than that, so really you'd end up using about $30 worth of that same epoxy to get an acceptable waterproof coating.

So to me it's a wash as to which one is more affordable, at least based on the prices Arl posted here. As long as the tank wasn't a strange size and involve a lot of waste of the plastic sheet it would be great to get that thick of a membrane for that little money.

kdog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2011
saskatchewan
Arl told me about his biuld as we were picking up a fish or at local airport. WOW! what a crazy build. I was planning on buying a monster plywood tank, not for monster fish just a tangynikan (sp?) fan. Now after this read I may just DIY my own!

Your settling tank seems like a great addition to any sump system. The under substrate flush is great in your application and for those in the true MONSTER FISH community but if I want to keep smaller species that enjoy moving substrate I can't see how I'd get it to work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store