Search results

1. H

Is it true bio-balls lose efficiency if completely submeged in sump filter?

Yes, ceramic rings best submerged, pot scribbles either or and balls above water line if you can like a trickle tower.
  2. H

Help!!!!!Snail in planted tank...popping up everywhere

loachs will take out their fair share, but as long as they are balanced, they can be helpful part of the clean up crew.
  3. H

Ok conflicting info on diatom brown algae

black diamond does take a while to clean up...do you have enough water movement? maybe something to keep the water moving will stop it from settling?
  4. H

Brown Algae in my 1 month old 30g tank! HELP!

Algae to much nutrients, to much light. Reduce the lighting period to a few hrs max a day, keep up with the water changes as the tanks gets established to reduce the nutrients levels.
  5. H

What's your advice about my predicament?

stop feeding it while you aren't there, no food, no waste, fish would be fine for a week. Also don't power feed before, there will be a spike in waste while you are gone. Feed when you come home so you can do the water changes then. As far as where to keep it, as long as he is comfortable in the...
  6. H

I am getting Algae on my plants (fake) and rocks etc, What fish would cure?

All algae needs is lights and nutrients, and nitrates at zero don't mean much as the algae does well with ammonia and nitrites that are in the water before theyare nitrates. Keep the light away, and reduce the nutrients will do fine, if you are on timers 2-3 hours a day should be all you need...
  7. H

I am getting Algae on my plants (fake) and rocks etc, What fish would cure?

black out the tank for a few days, 3-4 days should work wonders, no lights throw a blanket or dark clothe over the tanks. If that doesn't work, hydrogen peroxide, 5ml/ gallon to treat the whole tank, or you can take out the fake stuff and dose it heavier in a bucket, after 24 hrs it breakdown...
  8. H

help! 3.5-4in black arowana

i've seen worse recover, but he needs to be alone in a well heated tank, some salt to help prevent infections.
  9. H

how to safely put sand in freshwater tanks?

PFS is pool filter sand. Rinse in a 5 gallon bucket. Turn off your filter (just in case). Pour sand in one side then the other. The fish will get out of the way. Don't bother landscaping it all, the oscar will do that for you.
  10. H

Aqua Bridge Tank Setup Upgrade

I did this and ended up losing fish, a fish that was a might bit to big went in...I got him out, but he was not a happy camper. I also had a power head circulating the water between the 2. Would try again, but only with smaller community fish.
  11. H

2 id sharks in a 25g....

Bummer, but it happens. Can't go and save them all.
  12. H

Have you ever haggled at a fish store?

If I haggle, I use cash, and say I have $20 what will that buy me. Haggling can make it fair for everyone. Don't screw the LFS, but if you can buy a fish for $1 at a chain (neons what & nots) I am not paying $3.99 each at the LFS. Usually I have a fair price in mind, and I don't mind paying a...
  13. H

Gravel pump and water change options?

keep in mind, your pump can only push what your sink can put out.
  14. H

Gravel pump and water change options?

I syphon into a bucket, and got a pump that I put in the sink. I fill as I drain, syphon just a wee bit faster so I can empty a bucket and come back in more than enough time. For a few tanks I placed them close to windows, so I just syphon on the window. For that one I can do massive water...
  15. H

Rock fell on fish

Might be time to get him in an ice bath. If he is in pain, or getting picked on. Say your good-byes. If he seems content, and show signs of adapting to the injury, wait it out. I had a fish that stopped being buoyant. Some sort of swim bladder disease, tried to treat it, but he really...
  16. H

Been researching but and no answer yet ...

i would soak them and make sure they were neutralized before adding to and water system.
  17. H

Duckweed?

I usually have a 5 gallon bucket, I scoop the duck weed, change the water. Duck weed will grow in the bucket. The other things tend to get diluted out. Before I place in my tank I scoop and run under the warmer water just as a final rinse then in it goes... so far so good.
  18. H

Been researching but and no answer yet ...

I've heard of folks using the little green army men in a wet/dry set up. Anything you put in there bacteria will grow on. I have pot scrubbies in most of my HOBs. Side not I was eating pistachios and was wondering if you could use the shells as a bio homes. I would have to test the water...
  19. H

Duckweed?

There is a place in Milford, NH that carrys duckweed. If you just wait a few weeks look around in the local ponds, usually there is a ton of it. I use a net scoop out a lot of it then wash it out in 5 gallon buckets. A few washes usually cleans out most of the muck. Be aware of any "hitch...
  20. H

Duckweed?

spring is coming, you could just wait and get it naturally.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store