I HATE to Cull Fish!! What would you do?

What would you do with a deformed growout??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

big train

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Chesapeake V.A.
I cull fish reguarly and not because of deformities either i grow out cichlid fry in ponds during the summer months.I always look for the smallest and weakest of the brood and the deformed but i have only had a few come september i cull them out and feed them back to their parents.I do this because i only want the better specimums in the trade and i figure that in the wild these weaker fish would be the first to be predatorised anyway.

croc 2-3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
PA
In my humble opinion just don't breed it. If it is growing & defending itself like other cichlids then find someone who might take it. If it does slow down its' tankmates will cull it for you.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
croc 2-3;1500372; said:
In my humble opinion just don't breed it. If it is growing & defending itself like other cichlids then find someone who might take it. If it does slow down its' tankmates will cull it for you.

Too late :rip

:(

HarpoGarza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
Citrus Heights, CA
I've luckily only been faced with this decision once. I bought a pair of JD's when I was first getting back into the hobby and it became obvious within 6 months that one of them wasn't growing at all. I don't growing slower, this fish was the exact same size as it was the day I brought it home. Soon I had to move him to his own tank for safety concerns. After a while I determined that he was totally healthy and that he must somehow be a dwarf or something. I ended up giving him to my nephew for Christmas one year and he kept him for over 5 years. When he died "Little Jack" was 6 years old and all of 2 1/2". If I had noticed any sort of deformity or something that would prevent him from eating or swimming I would've culled him without a second thought. But that wasn't the case. He was an awesome little dude who just never grew.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store