Switching to NLS

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I agree with a comment in another recent thread that talking fish food is almost as bad as talking religion and politics sometimes, but I'll just add my personal review, take it for what it's worth--

Some years ago I did a good bit of head to head testing of Hikari, NLS, and several other foods. The difference between Hikari and a couple of others that were better, including NLS, was apparent in a short time, not just in the color of the fish but also appetite of some of my fish that had been finicky eaters-- between the two, NLS just produced better results than Hikari in my test.

In fact, why I mention Hikari and what initially started me doing a lot of food testing was this-- I could no longer find the food I'd been using previously, so I switched to Hikari only because it was the most expensive food available locally and I was trying to buy the best. But I was discontent with the fact that I'd buy some beautiful fish online and after a couple of months they didn't look as good as when I first got them (I no longer have this problem, fish now look just as good or better after I've had them a while). Meanwhile I had started reading about fish food and nutrition, which is when I decided to test foods out for myself, including side by side tanks, fry from same spawn, growing them out to breeding age, etc.

I'm not trashing Hikari and I'm not saying NLS is the holy grail of all fish food; I really have no particular food axe to grind here. Of all the foods I tested Hikari was basically in the middle, certainly better than some, but not one of the top two or three foods I tested, which included NLS. The common denominator difference between the best two or three foods I tested and most everything else was the number of grains, starches, glutens, etc. in the ingredients; the better results came from foods with less of them ime. The simple eye test of looking at the ingredients list on the label correlated pretty consistently with what I saw with my fish.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
The big thing for me with NLS is that my aquaclear filter AC 110 is never clogged up. Of course I feed every other day and lightly but When I used hakari my filter was loaded with old food and I fed that every other day also. Maybe just me but NLS is the only food I use for all my africans.

GVerde

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
Chicago
I have used kens premium pellets too and my large african cichlids were not not that eager to consume it. I only now use NLS. I also find that NLS is very concentrated. I use to feed the larger pellets (2-5mm) to my 4"-12" predator africans but now only feed every other day. I use to get a lot of waste because of all the fiber and veggies in NLS feeding everyday but now its managable and they are still healthy.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
All three of my tubs say the same for first ingredient. 10mm 2mm 6mm pellets. All nls, love the food.

uploadfromtaptalk1363127412963.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This is the African Rift Lake Cichlids folder, and I have yet to see an African cichlid (any species) that will refuse to eat NLS.

No comparison whatsoever to datnoids, to which there are also many dat owners who feed NLS with no issue.

TakeNotes .......... Ken's info on the NLS ingredient lists is outdated by approx 10 yrs, and completely incorrect for the Mega Fish formula.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
What's your point exactly?

Those are both Hikari labels, which clearly show not just one source of terrestrial based "starch", but three. Depending on the inclusion rates of each of those starches Hikari could in fact contain twice as much total starch as NLS. Or not, just sayin you can't simply look at just the first 2 or 3 ingredients and compare the quality of one fish food to another.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store