What's the most grusome death one of your fish has suffered?

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
Two instances come to mind. I accidentally reversed the input and output hoses on my Fluval FX6 canister and 5 of my beautiful ryukin were sucked into the output and ground up in the impeller. The other was a water changing accident where one of my fish swam up the tube and got it's head stuck in the uptake tube. It's head was exposed to extreme negative pressure and sucked parts of it's head off. It happened so quickly. The other way I've lost goldfish is when they get determined to get through a space that could not possibly accommodate them. All they need to do is back up 1/4" to get out of the situation but instead they choose to swim forward until they exhaust/stress themselves to death. I suspect inbreeding to be the source of this self destructive behavior since it strikes me as being supremely stupid. Everyone has seen those hollow ceramic decorative bridges. Those are deadly to goldfish. I took all rocks and vases out of my tank and have the gravel peppered with a variety of acrylic spheres for ornamentation. The largest being 4" in diameter. Even those I need to keep apart from each other, otherwise it makes a space for them to get their nose into.

Glenn

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
My BGK had a piece of shrimp in his mouth, as he was swimming off with it in there my Ctenopoma came by and ripped the shrimp out his mouth with his jaw with it, the BGK was so friendly and would only eat if I hand fed him, he died but not before swimming between my hand and died there:( oh I wish I had him the new BGK is so skittish and is scared of a falling work lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tommyfc3s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New Jersey
I had a 4" Chinese perch swallow my 8" Odoe pike. Never saw that coming. Came home and you could clearly see the shape of the pike in the perch's stomach and it extended past the perch's tail! I couldn't believe that either their stomach could stretch that far or how it didn't blow up!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
just had something similar happen between a 3" pbass and 3-4" dennisoni barb. you literally saw the whole barb inside the bass except for just the tail fins sticking out. of course i had just bought the barb within a couple hours :wall:

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Recently i was picking halfs of 3" silver dollars from tank, literally bitten on half..work of BGK

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
One of my Chinese perch was recently eaten by my Murray cod....that was pretty gruesome to my wallet.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island

IcK

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Winston-Salem, NC
Two different stories, one is mine and the one is a friends.

I used to put cucumber in the tank for the pleco to eat. I never watched the pleco eat all that often and I figured it did most of the eating at night. I came to find out that the trimac was not only eating the cucumber but he wouldn't let the pleco touch it. So the pleco slowly died of starvation and then its insides were eaten by the Trimac at night. Pretty gross and I felt terrible

A friend of mine ordered a large group of cichlids from Jeff Rapps (red terror, escondido, dovii, black belt, and motagenses) all in a 220 grow out. A friend of his decided that a cat fish would be cool in the tank and bought a red tail catfish. Slowly but surely everything started to disappear at night. Escondido was first, the black belt went stupid when we found it with its brain exposed at the top of the tank one morning. The Mota was saved by another friend of mine as he took it to his home. The saddest part was the dovii was gorgeous and was too big to be eaten, unfortunately the red tail hit a piece of slate rock which fell down on the dovii in its cave. Such a shame.

coryh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2015
Barnsley
I had bought a Jaguar cichlid and had to put it in to my main community tank which has many fish in it, the Jag was still in the plastic bag i bought her in, i just put the bag into the tank to keep the water warm while i had redecorated the new Jaguars tank, when i had gone and checked on the jag it had bitten a guppy thru the bag and crushed all its face and head which carried on swimming until i removed the half destroyed guppy, the jag was only 3'' at the time! Nasty

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store