What's the most grusome death one of your fish has suffered?

AudriSampson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Danville, IL
My dad loves exotic plecos. It was his dream to own a Zebra Pleco and it was finally time to go get it. It was carefully acclimated and let loose into his 125 gallon show tank. Of all the places it could have gone it swims right into the cave where his full grown adult L200 Green Phantom Pleco lives.. The GP chased it out and as it was coming out the GP speared the Zebra with one of his side fins. The Zebra got stuck on the spine and my dad (who was now in histerics) had to pull the Zebra off the spine.. The Zebra died a few minutes later.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Probably a common one, but first time it's happened to me:

Came in this morning to see a giant danio fairly roughed up, white patches, frayed fins; so my Oscar is the main suspect.

He looks off the whole day, I do my water change; then boom, Oscar grabs him side on, before turning and swallowing him slowly head on. The worst was that when the tail would flicker, the O would munch down and chew the head, body until it stopped flicking.

:(

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
betta pulled up in the filter, it ripped his head off.

Paper_Wings

Feeder Fish
Aug 13, 2015
I had an oranda, lived to be 5 years old. Just a wal-mart. I always thoughth e would die of some stupid accident because he was always hurting himself, one time I found he had scewered himself on a fake hairgrass plant-through the mouth and out his gills, another time he buried himself in sand under a 5 pound stone, his body was litterally flattened but he survived.

He eventually died of Dropsy, he bloated up so bad his stomach split wide open.

I was heart broken

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
An old friend of mine who I met on this board years ago had a 20 gallon long tank divided down the middle with a rainbow snakehead (Channa bleheri) on each side. He went away for a week, and came back to find that the slightly larger snakehead jumped the divider and killed the smaller, which rotted, fouled the water, and killed the larger.

D_Nicepumpkin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2015
the cave
I attempted to make a surface skimmer and my makeshift guard fell off an one of my baby red dragon FH was sucked up into a fish ball, poor little guy was still kicking when I freed him, but hi spine was too badly damaged and I had to send him to the great tank in the sku

zachsta18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2011
I had 3 baby musk turtles -- each was the size of a quarter and demanded to be hand-fed, so not predators at all. They were in a 75 and I had just gotten a 3-inch baby iridescent shark to put in with them, as it was a bit of a community tank. I acclimated the shark, went to bed and off to school the next day. I ran home from the bus stop after school because I was quite excited to check out my newest addition, but only a small piece of flesh clinging to the spine was left :/

Steveo73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2015
I had a 55 gal with 2 pacus
One was about 12" long the other was about 6"
they were great
i didnt even drive yet and at my lfs they had a 6" firemouth that they took in cause he was a killer
hah
i let him out of the bag within 15 minutes he was done
the large pacu had him in his mouth eating him from the tail forward
He was half eaten

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

Steveo73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2015
Not a fish story but a catastrophic heater failure
i have a 75 gal now set up with a odd mix of fish that can turn disastrous quickly
either way before the fish i had a red eared slider turtle
she was several years old
the tank was located on my dresser
i went to put deodorant on and could feel heat coming off the tank
the heater was just stuck on
the water was 125 degrees
the turtle never died
it did not eat for over a year
then in the spring that year later it was like nothing ever happened
she was fine

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Rossy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
Austin
me and my friend were cleaning and filling tanks up. forgot about how high a crawfish can jump. Next day found it down the hall, dried up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store