Fishing Season 2k15!!!!!!!!!!!!!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Got a decent smallmouth (for this creek) at the local creek the other night. Went one for three on hits but the water was muddy and high so I was hard pressed to catch anything.

Erie this weekend, was quite the opposite. Tribs were the absolute lowest I've ever seen them and the few fish there were running downstream were all piled in the same holes with clear water and 100 guys throwing every bait and fly imaginable at them. The fish were very disinterested and I only had one all weekend which proceeded to jump out of the small net I use for wild trout (insert face palm) and haul 20 yards upstream before jumping the hook. Not supposed to get any rain this week (which we very much need up in erie!!!) so it'll probably be worse next weekend. But, since we're staying at the erie cottage for musky fishing nearby in NY Saturday we figure we might as well try the creeks up there the next couple days.

Runs are way behind and we need a lot of downpours to get them going!

image.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Local Fall Trout Season has begun! Erie may be low and overcrowded with people now but I can always rely on my local creek come fall trout stocking in delayed harvest around this time every year. Fish commission just stocked them around lunchtime today so they were pretty sluggish and hard to get to hit (give it a week, they'll all be hiding under trees and undercut banks waiting to hammer the best looking lure they see, always like that with stockies haha). I went one for two tonight, landed a 14-15" brown and lost a 12" rainbow. My dad also caught a 5" smallmouth lol.

Expect plenty of trout reports to come, especially if the steelhead start running sometime in the next decade! :)

image.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Had a great day of fishing Saturday. Not so much Sunday and Monday though. Saturday we were musky fishing on lake Chautauqua again and did better than last time. Went 2/3 on the musky and the ones I landed were 33" and 36". I had an awesome 44-45"r on but he only had one shank through his lip and the leader was stuck on one of the hooks so he shook the hook out pretty quick. Also got an additional two follows. Caught the 33" and 45" casting 8-10" custom jerkbaits with the colors gold, walleye, and bass working pretty well. Caught the 36" trolling a 6" custom crankbait.

Erie was just like the last two weekends, crap. We fished Sunday and Monday since we were up here anyway for musky fishing and caught zero fish. Tried three different creeks and only got two hookups. One spit the hook immediately and the other launched itself towards shore and the hook popped out. Creeks are even lower and we need a flood at this point before we're going to get any good runs. The highlight of the erie part of the weekend though was going to one of the fish commission's nursery waters creeks (trout run) and seeing hundreds of trophy steelhead and brown trout packed in there (no fishing allowed). The coolest part however, was seeing a large male pink salmon at the mouth of the creek trying to spawn with steelhead (LOL). Hopefully a nice female pink comes in there to spawn with it as Pink salmon (and any species of salmon for that matter) are becoming increasingly rare in Erie sadly.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: raubiy

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Had a great day of fishing Saturday. Not so much Sunday and Monday though. Saturday we were musky fishing on lake Chautauqua again and did better than last time. Went 2/3 on the musky and the ones I landed were 33" and 36". I had an awesome 44-45"r on but he only had one shank through his lip and the leader was stuck on one of the hooks so he shook the hook out pretty quick. Also got an additional two follows. Caught the 33" and 45" casting 8-10" custom jerkbaits with the colors gold, walleye, and bass working pretty well. Caught the 36" trolling a 6" custom crankbait.

Erie was just like the last two weekends, crap. We fished Sunday and Monday since we were up here anyway for musky fishing and caught zero fish. Tried three different creeks and only got two hookups. One spit the hook immediately and the other launched itself towards shore and the hook popped out. Creeks are even lower and we need a flood at this point before we're going to get any good runs. The highlight of the erie part of the weekend though was going to one of the fish commission's nursery waters creeks (trout run) and seeing hundreds of trophy steelhead and brown trout packed in there (no fishing allowed). The coolest part however, was seeing a large male pink salmon at the mouth of the creek trying to spawn with steelhead (LOL). Hopefully a nice female pink comes in there to spawn with it as Pink salmon (and any species of salmon for that matter) are becoming increasingly rare in Erie sadly.

View attachment 1144585

View attachment 1144586

View attachment 1144587
Awesome pics.
nice catch. Look at this size :)

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Went to the lake this weekend and was greeted with water levels lower than I've seen before. Normally the waters 1-2 feet from the bottom of the dock.image.png

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Went to the lake this weekend and was greeted with water levels lower than I've seen before. Normally the waters 1-2 feet from the bottom of the dock.View attachment 1145393
Jeez, which lake? Last time we were actually on the lake in erie a few weeks ago we were taking the boat out for the year and the poles at our Marina slip were about two feet higher than usual above the boat, I've never seen a Great Lake water level drop so much.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Jeez, which lake? Last time we were actually on the lake in erie a few weeks ago we were taking the boat out for the year and the poles at our Marina slip were about two feet higher than usual above the boat, I've never seen a Great Lake water level drop so much.
This is a small lake called pleasant creek. I can't agree more. When I fished Lake Michigan we were able to stand or the rocks that would have been covered with 2-3 feet of water.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Old boot I dragged in this weekend...

This guy was an unexpected surprise, I could almost fit my fist into his mouth. Buzzkill that it wasn't a trout, I went 0/2 this weekend on those guys :(.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Old boot I dragged in this weekend...

This guy was an unexpected surprise, I could almost fit my fist into his mouth. Buzzkill that it wasn't a trout, I went 0/2 this weekend on those guys :(.

Nice King! I wouldn't complain if I caught a fish like that lol. Wish Erie had more salmon, myself and one other guy this year were the only two to report chinooks in over 10 years, and they were both 20" exactly so nothing too big. Erie's salmonid population is along the lines of the following: 0.01% Chinooks, 0.01% Pinks, 4.98% Cohos (leftover from the old days of stocking them so number will only decrease now with all the anglers that keep the few caught in a year) , 15% Brown Trout, 15% Lake Trout, 65% Steelhead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store