What kind of budget should I be looking at?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Yea I hate to doubt or down anyone who has plans and ambition but nothing about this makes any sense in reality specially when you got people on here DOING major projects and actually putting in the time effort and sweat into it , kind of a slap in their faces imo But watch him actually do everything he's saying than I'll look like an ass lol.
How is it a slap in the faces of the "greats" of this forum, like Arapaimag and JohnPTC? You say that you hate to doubt or down anyone with plans and ambitions, yet you're doing that exact thing right now. Not trying to sound rude, just confused about how this is a disrespect to the "big-tank" guys.

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
How is it a slap in the faces of the "greats" of this forum, like Arapaimag and JohnPTC? You say that you hate to doubt or down anyone with plans and ambitions, yet you're doing that exact thing right now. Not trying to sound rude, just confused about how this is a disrespect to the "big-tank" guys.
Imo hearing people talk about these pipe dreams trivializes those that are actually doing them and put in the work. That's all I meant. Form my experience all the people who have done monster projecs have already started them or atleast done them in the past to give them credibility before they start talking about them. If you pull this off I will be the first to say I was wrong and congratulate you

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Imo hearing people talk about these pipe dreams trivializes those that are actually doing them and put in the work. That's all I meant. Form my experience all the people who have done monster projecs have already started them or atleast done them in the past to give them credibility before they start talking about them. If you pull this off I will be the first to say I was wrong and congratulate you
Ok, I see where you're coming from. Well, I think you'll be congratulating me by the fall!

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Just a little bump, I'm lining up donations now. Here's the (hopefully) source of equipment/etc:
-CoralVue (owns Reef Octopus and a few others) - protein skimmers and maybe lighting, also auto top-off systems
-GlassCages - tanks
-My uncle - steel stands
-Hydor - powerheads and heaters
-Reeflo - returns
-Rubbermaid - sumps :D
-A kindergarten teacher at the school - 75 gallons (said she's got 2)
-Petsmart - smaller tanks (10-29 gallons)

Don't think I forgot anything. No sure where fish will come from, but I will be checking the marketplace for bigger fish once the tanks are set up.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Are you expecting all of this stuff to be donated, or done for the cost of materials with no markup?

I just don't see many of those places being interested in something like that. I hope I'm wrong though, and that the companies still have some goodwill left.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Are you expecting all of this stuff to be donated, or done for the cost of materials with no markup?

I just don't see many of those places being interested in something like that. I hope I'm wrong though, and that the companies still have some goodwill left.
Whichever I can get. I talked to a friend of mine who has wholesale accounts and said that companies like that (actually those specific ones) have donated things to schools with a 501(c)3 setup, and I'm pretty sure the school has one so they may be interested in doing that. If the big companies don't have an interest, maybe some smaller companies will.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Alright, what would you do here - if you had a 600 gallon tank and had to do freshwater, what would you do? I've thought of plenty ideas, but feel free to post your own lists. Please post a full list with numbers included. Thanks!

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
It's a private school, I doubt you'll ever see it in person. I'll be sure to post a build thread though. I meet with him to discuss a final plan in a week from today. I'll be sure to post a final plan after I meet with him.
I know all about the aquarium set=up and such, no problems there. Stock lists are finalized and definitely OK too. Thanks for your help :)
lol that sounded incredibly catty :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store