Warming/ weird oceans

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I give mankind 8to ten more years till things start to go apocalyptic.
Hello; Thanks. I am 69 so 8 to 10 years is about all I will need. I was worried for a few decades.

My feeble jokes aside, from my view point it is already going on. Slow motion disaster with the occasional sudden crisis thrown in.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I believe your right. One of these days the power grid is going down, stock market crash, or something going to buckle under the weight.
I am barely working 30 hrs a week, in manufacturing. Living Pay check to pay check.
It's just stagnant. Lots of folks laid off indefinitely. The corn is the only thing still growing around here.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Yes. If necessary I also have about 4 dozen cichlids. That are perfect sized for catching Flathead catfish.
Then theirs always the endless supply of bow fishing Asian carp below the dam.
The cattle around here eat a lot of corn also.
As long as the oceans stay warm enough to produce hurricanes. Getting enough rain is not a problem. I suppose that would be good for the hydro electric powerplant.
As long as the wind blows 10 mph from fierce weather stoms the wind turbines should do well.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
That won't be endless when every bodies starving,have a bunch of non perishable food,water,stuff to protect it from marauders(a.460 works well),and tradable items such as batteries,knives,bullets,fire starters etc

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Well it will be enouph, to load up the pantry on the Trimaran. To make the run to blue water if necessary.
I think most people would sit back and let the government feed them. Than to hunt and gather.
I also reason that any thing computer/ electronic would be inoperable. Probably from an EMP, or computer virus.
Most people around here tend to stick together in hard times, and help each other out. We're all farm kids, if we go back to our roots.
The Lord will provide. Going home is easy. Living here can be a pain. In the end, only one thing really matters.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Don't bother with ocean,it's already mostly fished out,in the hard times ahead u will want to be somewhere remote,so don't setup near danger hot spots like roads,power lines or major waterways,the. Iggest dangers are gonna be roving bands of people who will loot and kill,many of these will probably be gangs or desperate people,u will need to fight as a group,and be proficient not only in firearms but in mele weapons(bullets run out quick,u should not use them except for defense,for example do not use them hunting)

Reactions: markstrimaran

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Fished out ? I suppose if paying for fuel and crew to make a living. The ocean floor is were the nets can't trawl. Lots of big groupers, snappers, rock lobsters. If your homeless and adrift. With all the time in the world.
Then there's always the spear gun. Hunting fish is way more productive. Than trying to out smart one with a rubber worm.
I spent 6 years breathing compressed air down to 200 ft. Hard hat diving on oil pipelines. On the ocean, I am a rabbit in a briar patch.
Eventually the roving bands of thugs, will meet their maker. Civilization will be left with a obedient group of sheep. That live because. They dare not challenge the dictator. That controls the drones, satellites, and communication network.
Less a few small islands in the Pacific ocean.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Both of you make interesting points with some basic truths.

ocean,it's already mostly fished out
Hello; At the commercial level this is true for some fisheries and close for others. If the issues were limited to only overfishing the fish populations would likely have enough population to recover after the commercial operations can not catch enough to keep going.

Acidification of the oceans, loss of nursery habitat for fry and their zooplankton food sources and other impacts are also affecting fish populations.

u will need to fight as a group
Hello; Seems some truth to this. A lone wolf is likely to have a hard time. If for no other reason having to sleep. Finding enough like minded people with needed skills and who you can trust will be a big problem. At this point I do not personally know of any and will have to go lone wolf. At my age I will not last too long in a general breakdown of society.

Fished out ? I suppose if paying for fuel and crew to make a living. The ocean floor is were the nets can't trawl. Lots of big groupers, snappers, rock lobsters. If your homeless and adrift. With all the time in the world
Hello; I get your point. This seems doable in regard to finding something left after commercial overfishing.
Civilization will be left with a obedient group of sheep.
Hello; In my fantasy scenario things are pretty much the opposite. I have pictured survivor groups being those who are already adept at living hard.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I wonder, how well city dwellers would survive a cold winter. At the Minnesota southern border. A well built ice fishing house. Might be all one would need.
The mosquitoes would probably keep non-native out all summer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store