First step toward my dream build

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Wow, that definitely sounds like a better option. I can get 4 of those for close to the same price and have 1 for backup. Thank you for the suggestion.
Yes and by doing so you still got some pumps running if one fails on you.

Reactions: tlindsey

mrPickles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2023
Pretty excited to see this take shape. I've had the smaller versions of those Jebao pumps in my 330 gallon and have been happy with them. They're DC pumps that are really efficient, and you can easily and incrementally increase or decrease the power/flow with a button push.

bluehand

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
My luck has been so amazing on this build the last month or so. I have not physically started the build yet but have started the groundwork and getting all of the equipment so when I do start it here in the next month or so I can go all in. I happened upon these 2 pieces of acrylic today that I will incorporate as side view windows. 40" x 30" and 1 1/4 thick. So happy about this find!! They need a bit of cleanup and polishing but that won't be a problem at all.

IMG_20240324_202019552.jpg

IMG_20240324_201946475_HDR.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Parka and BIG-G

bluehand

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
So I have most of the materials ready to go and the majority of my equipment either in hand or ordered with delivery expected within the next week or two. I have never done a build near this size and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experiences with heating this volume of water?
The tank figures put me a little over 3000 gallons with the sump at roughly 700 gallon. Anyone with suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Flaring Afro

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
I don't have any experience heating an aquarium that is such an extreme size (only about 650 gallons), but I will say you'll want sensors in the display itself. That waterfall is going to make the water lose a decent amount of heat, which makes me wonder if it would be a lot more efficient to heat the pond directly rather than the sump.

Reactions: bluehand

bluehand

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
When I started thinking about how I was going to heat and cover the tank the waterfall was the first thing that crossed my mind. It has kind of made me question the waterfall addition. Although I really love the idea of the waterfall the heating issue got me thinking how practical it would be, not to mention the humidity/evaporation factor so that may end up being something I end up adding on a bit later.

Flaring Afro

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
Yeah humidity and sound are why I personally wouldn't consider one. I like my silent tanks with submersed filtering and beananimal overflows, but they are in my office and by the couch. Then I live in Virginia where summers get quite humid.

You can add a dehumidifier to the setup but that's even more power. I hope you have some top tier solar roof panels or very cheap electric.

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
My luck has been so amazing on this build the last month or so. I have not physically started the build yet but have started the groundwork and getting all of the equipment so when I do start it here in the next month or so I can go all in. I happened upon these 2 pieces of acrylic today that I will incorporate as side view windows. 40" x 30" and 1 1/4 thick. So happy about this find!! They need a bit of cleanup and polishing but that won't be a problem at all.

View attachment 1538379

View attachment 1538380
I lke that big fat bike wheel! And it really cracks me up how you "Stumble on things" (Mafia Glass!) and "Happen Upon" things, and I'm glad you are adding more windows. I Support You!

Reactions: bluehand
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store