FRT's and Rays

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Anyone keep an FRT (Fly river turtle) with there rays? Every public aquarium I have been to has had turtles in there ray tank. Just wondering if the FRT would bother the rays.

sharp tooth

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
uk
i always thought they would but ive seen huge tanks with them together. maybe its ok with huge amounts of room for the rays to keep out of there way.

if the frt decided to take abite i bet it would do real damage.

Cheetah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2009
Canada
I currently have a pair of rays and a frt in a ten foot tank. Had a divider up at first, but removed it after they became acquainted.

No aggression so far, the frt likes to surf on rays to. I've asked this question before and someone mentioned the ray might try to drown the turtle, which is possible.

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

Jimr

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
Lyme Ct.
I have a FRT with a pair of Histrix pups in a 240. No problem. They eat together everyday. My FRT is pretty laid back thou.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Ive had the combo but its risky.

Ray could get bitten and FRT could drown.

nguyenz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2008
Vietnam
It is a good idea... Until your ray's tail get bitten off. Very unpredictable. They were okay for a year then...

skylineiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
Australia
nguyenz;3523439; said:
It is a good idea... Until your ray's tail get bitten off. Very unpredictable. They were okay for a year then...
also keep in mind that turtles produce ALOT of waste, that will diminish the water quality tanks without massive water volume.

But they are cool little buggers.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
No aggression so far, the frt likes to surf on rays to. I've asked this question before and someone mentioned the ray might try to drown the turtle, which is possible.
Turtles absorb oxygen through their mucus membranes, especially an aquatic species like an FRT....I can't see a ray drowning an FRT, he'd have to sit on him for an hour or more...I'd worry more about the turtle getting stung...

Now I have personally witnessed rays and FRT in together in a 400 gal. One eyeless, mauled ray later, and the FRT got a new home. And I know my own FRT will shred anything that sits on the bottom.

Try at your own risk!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
One of my FRTs took a wedge shaped bite out of the spine of one of my AULs. The turt was only 2 years old at the time and it managed to kill a 20+" AUL with that one bite. Now, in its own tank, my FRTs actively chase down fast shiners for snacks.
IMO, not worth the risk of losing prized specimens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store