FRT's and Rays

sbrodacz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2009
Illinois
MeAko;3990274; said:
Definitely part and parcel of MFK Netiquette to accompany enumerations of just a jaw dropping stock list with pictures. Otherwise --> :banhim: hehe
Check my for sale sections. There are always a ton of pictures......

Laosy Fish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2008
Mental City, IL
i love turts but wouldnt risk it with my prized fish. i saw one last weekend with dats, aros, and raysalong with a few other small and larger oddballs in a 300gallon tank and he seemed docile to me. IMO i wouldnt do it as all FRT's are still carnivores from what ive read and given the right time and situation, he might not kill at first but just a bite to my rays or show fish even though the frt may cost more than some of my fish, im more a fish lover and couldnt risk them damaged or hurt.

my wonder is that ray keepers worry so much about qt and acclimating and mixing wild with captive bred but then they throw a turtle in the mix? are they not worried about the contaminents a "wild" frt would bring into the tank?

all my turt collection is in a different setup as i would not risk the damage or the cross contamitaing. could always get a FRT but cant replace my prized fish!

good luck to those who try it and do succeed and im not saying it wont work, but the cons outweigh the pros in this one...

laosy fish..

LBathory

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
New Jersey
its a risk, but i've seen it done many times with no problems. it really depends on the personality of the animals and how much you trust them. the rays are def more at risk IMO. it would look really cool though.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
after all i said in this thread im now trying it :D

i was told the key is lots and lots of tank space

the temp of the FRT also plays a big part

i looked to buy a mellow FRT for ages and found one that was kept with corys and discus which i found

it has only been in the tank for 1 week but no problems so far

Laosy Fish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2008
Mental City, IL
T1KARMANN;3993788; said:

i looked to buy a mellow FRT for ages and found one that was kept with corys and discus which i found

thats awesome bro...i too have been thinking and debating of throwing on in with the rays. just dont have the balls to do it. i'm in FRT envy of you!:headbang2

any chance you can get a tank shot of your setup for us to see as an example of how it might work. dont include the FRT. just your setup...:popcorn:

sbrodacz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2009
Illinois
T1KARMANN;3993788; said:

You won't regret it. I've had rays take food from the frt as he's trying to eat it. The frt just swims to another piece.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Laosy Fish;3993808; said:
thats awesome bro...i too have been thinking and debating of throwing on in with the rays. just dont have the balls to do it. i'm in FRT envy of you!:headbang2

any chance you can get a tank shot of your setup for us to see as an example of how it might work. dont include the FRT. just your setup...:popcorn:
just finished the tank 1000 gal

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301175

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
I say err on the side of caution. If your tank has a wide variety of sizes and species, is spacious enough, and is well fed and filtered I could see it working. Too many predators competing for food in a cramped and boring space spells disaster, as far as I can figure.

If I had a pond (20,000+ liters) with a full food chain and pristine water I wouldn't think twice about tossing a FRT or two in there. As it stands I wouldn't trust one farther than it could throw me.

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
So far, my FRT and Ray combo seems to be working out well. I think the most critical part of my "success" is the FRT's gentle nature. It is very docile but confident, it hides under the driftwood 70-80% of the time. I have seen a number of times where the ray comes up to the FRT and has a short chat with it, kinda like gives him a lose hug, but the FRT doesn't even move, it doesn't seem to mind.

The problem in my pond was the Giant Gourami which was hounding in the first day, but I guess it was just giving the rookie a hard time, but has not even swam close to it since.

So far so good, my FRT is eating sinking pellets and holding its own in a sea of giants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store