German Shepard puppy To be or not to be?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
My friends friend has a breeding pair of german Shepard's expecting puppies (not sure what you call a breeding pair in dog terms so I just used fish terms lol) I want one but have never had a big dog especially one with potential attitude. I currently have a small-medium male dog breed mix and I plan for them to coexist. Here is the thing. I've never paid for a dogs initial shots myself. I'm only 17 so prior to this possible new dog my dogs shots and vaccines / dewormer was paid for by my parents. I want to know what to expect with a german Shepard. What will the average initial start up cost for it be only considering shots,vaccines and necessary medical stuff just so I am prepared.i live in SoCal if that helps for price referencing. I can afford it I just want an estimate so I am aware I will also still have assistance with some things like food and other things until I move out. And for any of you german Shepard owners, do you have any tips for me? What should I expect with a german Shepard especially since it will be my first larger dog breed. I'm coming here first to use all my resources I have to see if this is the right decision or not. If it's not I can always tell my friend no thanks. Also should I aim for a male or female considering I already have a male dog in the household. Oh and I will have the dog spayed/neutered whatever it may be male or female after 6 months. I would like a larger dog I'm not sure if that's the male or female in this case. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
I'm not too sure about the medical startup prices as my dog is 7 years old now so I can't remember but all I have to say is that you have to let the dog know whose boss from day one. Especially with a large breed dog that is as smart as a GSD.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Interesting I need to look up more on being firm with dogs and being the boss. I usually am firm but then I feel bad so i end up not being strict again

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
I would just call your veterinarian and they should tell you how much the shots cost. The price goes up as your puppy grows.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Haha good luck. Expect hardcore destructive chewing of things that are valuable. And when you think it won't chew on something, it will.
Expect it to grow faster than you expect and to eat you out of your house.
I currently feed my Rottweiler taste of the wild. They used to be labeled all life stages but aren't anymore. But it's the same food, they just came out with a "puppy" line. It's great stuff and I recommend to everyone with larger dogs.
When it comes to "discipline" you need to be firm but never physical. Any negative physical punishment results in the dog being afraid of you. Any training or socialization I've done with my dogs has never been through physical punishment. Training can be a pain in the ass. German shepherds can be very smart and willing to learn or very smart and very hard headed haha.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I get this food already for my other dog would this be ok ... I'm sure it willImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406944298.639217.jpg
Any idea on weather I should get a male or female according to the dog I already have ?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Canidae is a good brand too.

That's your call. Makes will get much bigger. As far as temperaments go, I don't know. I've only ever kept female German shepherds.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Another thing to consider is your future living situation. It will not be easy finding an apartment or sometimes even a home that will let you rent if you have a German Shepherd.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Yes I know however I already have a dog so it's something I'm already going to have to deal with. I'm already not moving out until I finish college per my moms request haha

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I've got a GS/husky/wolf mix and I always get my shots through petco. It depends on the stores by you but there's a company called vetco that comes to petco at least once a month and their shots are extremely affordable. Mine was $49 I think for te first set of shots then the 2nd and 3rd were a little bit cheaper. Also make sure to start training from day 1. They are extremely destructive as puppies. Mine completely destroyed the house whenever it was bored so make sure there are plenty of toys for it. They are extremely smart and catch on quick. Mine was potty trained after 2 days so as long as you don't slack on training, you will enjoy having it around. I'd go with a female since your other dog is a male. You will be expecting a lot of fights if you have 2 males because they will always compete to be the alpha male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store