Why is the ban on Asian Arowanas still up?!

Arokeeper13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2014
Nowhere
The price i mentioned will be probably in the US market ( if legalized ). it is true that the price of xbacks have dropped, for the super reds the price may had dropped but not to the extent of the price decrease of xback arowanas.

the reason why i said that the price in the US might be that expensive, is for the asian arowanas to be legalized they must pay some sort of fee to help the numbers of asian arowanas in the wild to improve, ( as per said by the other posts in this thread )

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
California Motherlode Area
The price i mentioned will be probably in the US market ( if legalized ). it is true that the price of xbacks have dropped, for the super reds the price may had dropped but not to the extent of the price decrease of xback arowanas.

the reason why i said that the price in the US might be that expensive, is for the asian arowanas to be legalized they must pay some sort of fee to help the numbers of asian arowanas in the wild to improve, ( as per said by the other posts in this thread )
Exactly what I have been thinking for the past 20 years. I even wrote a paper about this possibility to my Fisheries professor at UC Davis.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
California Motherlode Area
Exactly what I have been thinking for the past 20 years. I even wrote a paper about this possibility to my Fisheries professor at UC Davis.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
The idea would be that a tax on a high priced aquarium fish is that there would be a returned to conservation efforts in areas where that type of Asian Arowana was native too. This then would conserve the native habitat and ecosystems of Asian Arowana's and at the same time make them available for other countries for the hobby. With this being done the Asian Arowana industry would be endorsing conservation of the species in the wild.

Asian Arowana's being a high priced aquarium fish there was another possibility, the money raised could be directed to other conservation programs that were going on on Asian Arowana habitat such as Elephant, Tiger, Rhino, or Orangutang conservation programs. If the money from a sales tax of Asian Arowanas is returned to conservation programs on the waterways that Asian Arowanas are native too and this ideal is done as planned there are some greater prospects. This is a solution to delisting the Asian Arowana while conserving Asian Arowana's in the wild that is a path towards legalization here in the USA and I may have posted this idea before. This is just to elaborate more than what was on my last post.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
Anyway we can do to make them legal here? Donated some money? Or something , omg, my dream tank is a bare bottom , black back and bottom with just one golden aro ,

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Anyway we can do to make them legal here? Donated some money? Or something , omg, my dream tank is a bare bottom , black back and bottom with just one golden aro ,

I think you need to do some more research before you rush out and buy a gold aro and put it in a black tank

Gold aro do best in a white tank if you put one in a black tank it will look rubbish

madevilghost

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2014
Rich Man's Island
2014-10-14 00.06.24.png

Here's some cheap fishes in my "Rubbish" tank.

These Golden Crossbacks are so dirt cheap its not worth the effort to place them in white tanks.

By the way black tank is the best to bring out the colour.
White tanks are super ugly especially when the algae grows out.

Originally Posted by T1KARMANN

I think you need to do some more research before you rush out and buy a gold aro and put it in a black tank

Gold aro do best in a white tank if you put one in a black tank it will look rubbish

2014-10-14 00.06.24.png

Amn.mohamed3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2014
Chicago, IL
Is the government too stupid to see that these guys are being mass bred in farms all over Asia? There's plenty of them available, they won't go extinct from the hobby. I really wish I could own one but congress is so stupid and will likely never make them legal. They're legal in Canada, why not here?!
in my opinion, the U.S. government should fund a breeding program and give half to the industry for the people this will significantly reduce prices since it's the government. But the other half can go into the wild. And the money we spend on our arowanas can go into funding the breeding process.

It's a non profit program that satisfies the need of American captive Asian Arowana as well as the needs of the population in the wild. I think that's thr most straightforward and easy idea as there will be a ban on importation but if you want you can buy them from the government only.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I doubt if any entity of the U.S. government is the least bit concerned about the plight of some fish in another country...fat chance of them getting behind such a project.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store