Why is the ban on Asian Arowanas still up?!

madevilghost

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2014
Rich Man's Island
The article you have posted states though that the price of the higher quality such as Golden Head XBack Asian Arowana have gone up. While the price of lower grade Arowanas has dropped. If they were legal I would keep an aquarium with about 10 Asian Arowana's.

Best Regards
PRICES OF ALL GOLDEN AROWANAs have CRASHED. THE HIGHER END ONES ARE HIT THE HARDEST.

*Red arowanas prices are dropping slowly, indonesia is overproducing like crazy as its very good money for farms.
Once the oversupply hits the market, Red arowanas will also become cheap.
E.g Golden Head Arowanas from $3000 few years back now worth $200 - $500 max.

Dude, everything dropped, Golden Head Cross backs are only SGD $200 = USD $ 157
See the latest transaction:
http://www.arowanafishtalk.com/foru...40-17-GHXB-for-sales-SOLD&p=307219#post307219

CrossBacks are only like USD $150 only.
http://www.arowanafishtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?38193-20-Crossbacks-to-clear

Red Tail Golden ARowans even cheaper like USD $50- $100.

Primitive Jaws

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
New Jersey, US
When i said "start a breeding project" I didn't exactly mean in the US. obviously it would be more sensible to breed them some where in Asia. Also if they were started here i don't expect anyone to make a stupid move and keep them in native wild ponds. I said "natural" ponds, i should have said " natural man-made ponds". either way yes it would take some time but at-least its a step forwards in the preservation of the wild species. Instead of not much of anything but being done or being at a stand still, which is what it " SEEMS " to look like.

Arokeeper13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2014
Nowhere
I don't know a tremendous amount about the asian arowana regulations, but what i do have to say is if some group caught 4 wild ones ( 2 male. 2 female. ) Then started a breeding group from there and worked on releasing them into heavily guarded natural ponds ( with federal backing of course) and lakes. In a good amount of years you would have a steady flow of new blood to reintroduce into the natural unguarded habitats. (Only after evaluating the safest areas free from any future industrial or federal waterway projects.)

That being said. If the ban were to be lifted as i believe someone stated before, home breeders in the US would pope up everywhere. Then as with all new or rare hard to breed fish, a few great keepers would get it down to a science. (Now i'm not saying that it's a must) but the government could reapply the ban after being notified of this consistence of captive breeding. There by halting any unsavory characters bringing wild one over. Some one also mentioned how in Asia the water ways are being tampered with and this is highly effecting the numbers of the wild Asian arowana. If that is true then keeping the ban or lifting the ban without well planned aggressive breeding projects would have no effect on their wild numbers at all. Mainly because their really enemy seems to be the decline of or assault on there home water ways. Meaning the number will eventually either say the same or decline even more.

Now going back to the theoretical *master* Asian arowana breeders in the US. They would obviously keep the price tags extremely high for a while and you might see a selling pattern similar to flower horns or sting rays where the breeding is focused on the shape, patterns, color ex that you wont normally if ever see in the wild, there for the prices would rarely drop that low. What draw most Americans to the Asian arowana seems to usually be ( this is from here say ), " oh the amazing colors." " Those perfect shaped fins." "They get such great color variants. " Common, even some experienced fish keepers will normally go for the more flashy fish but dont always wanna pay the price. (True fish geeks) on the other hand, will gladly scratch and save for that perfect wild specimen or wild lookalike. To them purity really matures.

all im trying to say here is i dont know why some people stand by the ban and just worry that the lift of the ban will negatively effect the wild numbers. how ever i don't hear of anyone making a solid plan on how to increase those number in their present endangered position.Then i also hear of people who want to lift the ban, but they have no plan either to make sure the new US Asian Arowana generations stay strong and can be controlled so at some point we no longer need any more imports. ... These are just a few of the more important convos i think we should be having rather then. " When are they gonna lift the ban???! "

. All comments are welcome.
Asian arowanas are not that easy to breed. Some experienced hobbyist in south east asia are keeping a minimum amount of 8-10 pcs of asian arowanas in their tanks/ponds are still having difficulty breeding these fish..

Im sure there will be someone who wants to own a wild asian arowana.

Arokeeper13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2014
Nowhere
PRICES OF ALL GOLDEN AROWANAs have CRASHED. THE HIGHER END ONES ARE HIT THE HARDEST.

*Red arowanas prices are dropping slowly, indonesia is overproducing like crazy as its very good money for farms.

http://www.arowanafishtalk.com/foru...40-17-GHXB-for-sales-SOLD&p=307219#post307219

http://www.arowanafishtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?38193-20-Crossbacks-to-clear

If a person directly purchase the asian arowana in their farms located in either malaysia, singapore or indonesia yes the price of the asian arowanas will be really cheap esp. If you buy in huge quantity, but if a person will import an asian arowana from US (when legalized) top it up with taxes, transportation fees and other stuff i think you might have to pay for an amount of rtg arowana for a low grade xback.

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
California Motherlode Area

Regardless of what the market is in Asia I am just stating what was printed in the posted article that was used as a reference. That is lower grade Asian Arowana prices have dropped and the higher grade prices have increased. If that is not the case someone should write a letter to the editor about writing an article that has false information. People on these Forums should not be saying trust me then posting article as a reference that have got tabloid representation were the the information is not even close to being accurate to what going on in the actual market.

The States could give a home to all of these extra Asian Arowana's. However if that happened that would solve the drop in price of Asian Arowana's and the demand would most probably drive up the prices again. That is if Asian Arowana's ever become legal in the States?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
If they were not banned people would illegally collect them from the wild. With their already low numbers, such legislation would be devastating.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
If a person directly purchase the asian arowana in their farms located in either malaysia, singapore or indonesia yes the price of the asian arowanas will be really cheap esp. If you buy in huge quantity, but if a person will import an asian arowana from US (when legalized) top it up with taxes, transportation fees and other stuff i think you might have to pay for an amount of rtg arowana for a low grade xback.
That's not true I live in the UK and the prices for cross back and super red has halved in the last 2 years

What you are reading is probably a few years old

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store