My New Monster-To-Be

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Sarge is doing great in his new home. He's grown to at least 6" at this point and is starting to outgrow his hiding spots already! Eating everything under the sun that's edible but still won't come out into the tank it eat when lights are on, working on that. Plus side is he's handfeeding quite well :)

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Probably a good 7". Bought him last year at just over an inch. Didn't even eat pellets last year cause I didn't have my sturgeon back then and had 6 months of winter where fish don't grow. Insane growth considering those factors!

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Extremely hardy fish. They are in every mud puddle around here. I have kept them for 30+ years. I bet it will eat a worm an hour after it was caught. Mine were trained to come up to the top of the tank to feed when I tapped on the glass top. Best part is they don't get HUGE. Will eat anything meaty.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Extremely hardy fish. They are in every mud puddle around here. I have kept them for 30+ years. I bet it will eat a worm an hour after it was caught. Mine were trained to come up to the top of the tank to feed when I tapped on the glass top. Best part is they don't get HUGE. Will eat anything meaty.
Cool! Any advice getting them to surface feed? I've had my guy since early July and he's 6" at this point and still won't even come out of his cave to eat, I have to handfeed him every night!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Haven't done an update in a while (partially because I couldn't find the thread, lol :)) so I figured I'd do one. The now big guy is doing great in my 75G still and has a diet of 10-12 shrimp pellets a night. He's about 7" now and is pretty much gaining 1" per month like I was told he would. He should be in a new and bigger tank next year. If his growth slows down a lot at around 9-10" I may keep him in this tank for a while longer but inevitably he'll need a bigger tank sooner or later to reach my goal for him to get 14". As soon as I have my basement Fishroom done I'll be investing in a 240+ for him! my Gibbicpes pleco! and some other fish.
image.jpg

image.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
'Nuther update. This guy is at least 7.25" at this point and pushing 7.5". He's now tied for my biggest fish with my White Sucker. Ironically I love the giant fish and my biggest is 7.5" :) once I get bigger tanks that'll change though. Not much bigger than 10-12" you can keep to healthy in a 75G.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Update:

No major growth since the last update and he's still in the 7.25" neighborhood but he'll probably put on another 3/4" by the end of the month (I'm hoping anyway). He has grown girth wise though and became to fat for his rock cave so what did I do, I turned his cave into a fort :). Now instead of being a 5 piece rock structure he has a massive, luxurious, and spacey 9 piece complex that he resides in and seems quite happy in it. He has a main area about twice the size of his original cave, 3 PVC pipes that are used as halls to connect the different structure parts, and a small hole in the top of a corner of the top slab that he can use as a window to peek out into the tank. This thing is going to be a pain in the *** when it comes to water changes but he really likes (and needs) the extra space.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store