My New Monster-To-Be

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That long? I'm going to try a crawler tonight but I won't be shocked if he doesn't eat it. I'll aim to change about 5 gallons every or every other day.
I'd test the water every day, unless found rock solid and stable over a couple of weeks.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd test the water every day, unless found rock solid and stable over a couple of weeks.
I will be. I changed about 5 gallons earlier and used a net to stir up and get out most of the solid waste. If it keeps getting that dirty then I'll change a few gallons daily otherwise I still won't let it go for longer than two days.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well I turned out every light in the room except the lamp at the far end of the room and dropped in half of a live nightcrawler. I tried it before as well but he didn't care about it. It is squirming around a lot and this will probably sound rediculous but is there any possible way it could bother the bullhead if it started to somehow follow it around the bin and it wouldn't eat it? Hopefully he'll go to work on it, I'll check for remains tomorrow morning.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
How much of a chance is there that the bullhead would outgrow my other cats to the point where he could actually harm them? The other cats are a 3.5" striped raph and a 4" gibbiceps pleco.

BHARDON24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Nj
When I was about 9 or 10 a bullhead swam into the arch of my foot while wading at the beach it was about 2" long. I trapped him with my hand brought him home in a styrofoam cup I hid from my mom :D. I only had a 10 gallon at the time and after my parents saw all my fish were gone except my blue gourami they asked what happened to them. I moved my bubble filter and showed my parents what I had. They made me put it back in the lake he was about 5" by then. I was extremely sad when I let it go I loved that fish I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Enjoy yours they are awesome fish. Mine used to sit in the middle of the tank and we would just watch each other, anyone else came in the room and it hid behind the filter.
Why was a freshwater fish at the beach?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Didn't eat the worm so I took it out, it's actually still alive! I'll try again tonight.

DaCobbs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
Idaho
How much of a chance is there that the bullhead would outgrow my other cats to the point where he could actually harm them? The other cats are a 3.5" striped raph and a 4" gibbiceps pleco.
Cats will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. So good a good chance that it will down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... is there any possible way it could bother the bullhead if it started to somehow follow it around the bin and it wouldn't eat it?
Nah.

If all goes well, it will quickly outgrow them. As far as harming, I doubt it - bullheads are pronounced scavengers, not predators and neither fish is an easy meal - but it is always a risk, how ever small, as bullheads are voracious eaters.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well I didn't offer any food Friday night through this morning in hopes that it's get hungry enough to except anything but no. I offered 3/4 of a live crawler a few minutes ago and he wouldn't even acknowledge it. I'm going to leave it I'm again tonight and hope he eats. Visually he's healthy, I took out the sponge filter for a minute to observe the fish and the hook wound has already healed and he was swimming around normally. I also changed about 5 gallons of water when I got home. Hope he eats soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store