H.carpintis growth thread.

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
love this thread. he's geting real beefy. please keep us updated out of curiosity what happened to the other fry? used them all as feeders?
I used a majority of them as feeders and saved about 10-12 that grew to about 2-3" gave them all but 2 to the local aquarium shop. There is very little demand for large Americans around my area even though I got a lot of interest on facebook pages and other sites I didn't see it worth my time in sending them singly all over the country.

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
I will be following this thread.

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
Today whilst doing a water change I couldn't help my self and properly measured him.
First time I have ever taken a fish out for the sole purpose of measuring but thought it would be handy to get a definite measurement at this milestone.

( 22cm / 8-1/3" ) I also weighed him for the sake of it and came in at about 250g.

Male Carpintis 23-11-2014 1 year old.jpg

Male Carpintis 23-11-2014 1 year old.jpg

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
I think what helped him out a lot is that he has been in a 68 gallon tank on his own (other than a bristlenose and a few khuli loaches) since he was about 4" and am currently doing approx 70% water changes weekly and once he gets to about 11" I think I might consider getting him a bigger tank. He is yet to breed but with his aggression levels I really don't know how successful it would be, but if I find a nice sized female with large pearling like he has then I think I would give it a try.

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
I used to only do about 30% - 40% water changes but with my new setup water changes are no harder or time consuming than doing smaller changes, also our local water supply is very consistent and all parameters are nearly exactly the same as what they have in the wild so thought it wouldn't hurt just to change more and he is really thriving more than ever. I would have to partly attribute his excellent growth rate to the larger water changes that I have been doing.

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
Hi guys been about six months since I posted on here last. My carpntis is at about 24cm now and has slowed down growth wise alot since late time. He is on his own with only a few plecos and has been fairly timid and flighty since I moved a few months ago. I was wondering peoples opinions on dither fish and whether it would be worth giving a try?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
No updated pics?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Nice.... pics ? Is he still in the 60 gal ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store