H.carpintis growth thread.

ToeB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Try back-crossing with the parent. It would be interesting to see if those traits could be selected for. I would definitely want some of those fry. If I just saw this fish without knowing where it came from I would say it was, without a doubt, a hybrid. Even the growth rate makes me think it shows hybrid vigor. You could call them "true" Red Texas.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Try back-crossing with the parent. It would be interesting to see if those traits could be selected for. I would definitely want some of those fry. If I just saw this fish without knowing where it came from I would say it was, without a doubt, a hybrid. Even the growth rate makes me think it shows hybrid vigor. You could call them "true" Red Texas.
For real if you can start a line breed from that guy and get some similar looking fish out of it they'd sell like hotcakes! I know tropicals from out of the country go for a high price there too so a line bred color morph like that could probably go for a good bit of cash

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
Unfortunately I sold the parents about 4-5 months ago. It was the Female parent that was a lot higher quality than the male and was hoping to maybe find a high quality female to go with this one and hopefully bring out some even brighter blue pearling. I wonder if the camera is picking up some red that isn't there because I can't see it as much as you guys but I do have red/green color blindness which may explain this. Here is a pic of the mother.
Texas cichlid 2.jpg

Texas cichlid 2.jpg

cambrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Australia
Male texas 2.jpg Here is a pic of the father. As you can see he was never as brightly colored as the other 2 and is probably why a majority of the offspring were less colorful.

Male texas 2.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The angle of light (flash)(sun light) and the color spectrum of bulb has a lot to do with the way a fishes color is perceived by the camera, and our eyes.
All these pics are the same individual.

ToeB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Individual Texas cichlids are known to vary in color, sometimes from moment to moment, but the offspring you have there is definitely a unique fish. I wouldn't really call him red, though hes about as red as most "red texas" you see. Shame about the female.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store