What do you HATE that everybody else seems to LOVE in the hobby?

xellos

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
1) Goldfish , why couldnt any other fish be that popular ?! its ridiculous
2) Fake plants
3)water conditioners !! There is no evidance that they even work ! try buying water conditioner for a 1000G tank with 40 % water changes weekly !!
4) calling Senegal Bichir a Dinasaur eel , like some pet stores do .
5)buying a single pirahna or clown loach or any other schooling fish !!
6)all the stores that sell fish tooooooo BIG to be in the hobby ! like Paroon sharks or arapaimas or RTCs ! Not all of us have an indoor swimming pools for fish

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I don't like peas in a can either. I prefer my peas fresh and just shelled. LOL!
Took me a second... :nilly:

I actually am annoyed by tanks without canopies - they don't look finished, in my opinion.

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
Okay here we go... I hate...

1. Gouramis of ANY kind, truly disgust me.
2. Tanks with incandescent bulb lights, not sure why but it looks terrible.
3. Mollies/Platties
4. Going to a pet store and seeing male bettas sold in the little pint cups with barely enough water to swim.
and lastly...
5. Having a tank on the bottom rung of an iron stand and having to do water changes on it... Anyone else think that's a HUGE pain because the syphon won't start? :ROFL:

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Some fish, for me, the interest in them comes also from the environment. Peacock Bass and Datnoides bore me deathly in non-natural tanks, but in the wilds, they fascinate me. I suppose in a large natural looking tank it might be the same.

I still think JDM is horribly cruel.

icefreeze57

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
New Jersey
I agree, why the hell are goldfish so popular? So of course I hate dyed fish, but most of all I hate not having enough tanks and tank space!

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I know these responses are supposed to be rhetorical, but I can't help myself.

Goldfish popularity: Name a fish that can survive in temps as varied as cold as 32F up to 90F, with low dissolved oxygen levels, high levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? That's why they are so popular.

Fake Plants: they are maintenance free; they will not clog your filter, die or be eaten by plant eating fish.

Water Conditioner: It's a fact that most water treatment plants use chemicals to kill bacteria in our water. The levels are low enough so that they are not toxic to humans, but can be toxic to fish. If you are treating a large amount of water, use Seachem Safe (it's the concentrated powder form of Prime and 5 grams treats 450G of Chlorine treated water) and pretty cheap- 8.8lbs of it will cost you less than $100 and will treat 360,000 gallons.

Xellos: If you wanted to do a 1,000G water change every day for a year, it would only cost you only $0.28 per daily water change. If you are doing 40% per week, that's only $1.12 per month to treat your water.

My pet Peaves:

1. Overstocked tanks- the argument that it is the proper way to keep aggressive fish together is ridiculous. JDM = Just Dumb Man
2. A lot of people on here say, "I will upgrade to a larger tank when X fish gets to be X feet long" but no one seems to actually follow through.
3. The idea that fish are treated like commodities instead of pets. You don't see people trading their dogs or cats on the internet, so why do people do it with fish?
4. People that pose questions to see if they can get someone to agree with their thoughts, when even the OP knows (deep down) that they are wrong. i.e.- can I get a Pima, RTC, Aro etc. and keep it in a 240G?

redfish_33

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Lafayette, La
LFS that do not have a clue about what they are selling. People who try and degrade others while giving advice on fish, I am sure that we all have learned alot from our mistakes in this hobby.

f1shy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2012
On mfk.com
Tall tanks. Absolutely hate 'em. Petco, Petsmart etc. Dumb workers at lfs. Fish snobs. Undergravel filters (I prefer hob filters) Acrylic tanks. Anything but long tanks (You know because I like them hard and long :grinyes:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store