Well...this happened today off craigslist.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Alot of older tanks didn't have center braces. I wouldnt sweat it. Ive seen old tanks in the realm of 200gal with no bracing. They used thicker glass back then.

If your super concerned call your LFS and order a new top trim piece, that is of course the thicker glass wont prevent that.

Maybe look for something with the same foot print but taller (which would utilize thicker glass) and order that trim. Guys at the LFS should know. Trim pieces are really inexpensive. Ive ordered a few before.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
My calculation shows that it is 157 gal. I have two 20+ year old 75 gal made without center brace and the glass top is cut sightly wider in the center to allow for bowing. Older tanks are made with thicker glass so center brace is not needed. It's not really necessary to add a center brace if it is designed the way it is. But I will test fill it for at least 2 weeks in a garage before placing it inside the house. Placing 160 gal of untested tank in a house is a hazard. I have had resealed tank that held water for 2 weeks only to leak later.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
This Is definitely a newb question but can you guys explain to me exactly how a center brace works? All my tanks have them but from what it looks like there's just the trim then the center brace just siliconed on top. I don't understand how a silicones piece of glass would prevent such a large amount of force on the front and back panel from being pushed out. I wouldn't think silicone is strong enough to handle that much force

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
This Is definitely a newb question but can you guys explain to me exactly how a center brace works? All my tanks have them but from what it looks like there's just the trim then the center brace just siliconed on top. I don't understand how a silicones piece of glass would prevent such a large amount of force on the front and back panel from being pushed out. I wouldn't think silicone is strong enough to handle that much force

The silicone handles all the forces of water in a glass tank. If it can hold a corner in the bottom of the tank it can hold a brace.

Im no structural engineer but basically
you can have thousands Of pounds of water in a Tank. but when you break it down to pounds per square inch and consider the load is distributed across the entire tank / stand - the numbers become less astrinomical.

The corners and sides are more robust than long unsupported expanses of glass spanning your viewing area like your front pane on a 6ft tank for example. There is more surface area for the water to push on and the glass can bow or flex some. Theres 2 ways around this. Use thicker glass, or brace the center.

Take an empty tank - push on the center brace, feel the flex? Now fill it with water, the brace will be tight.

More or less bracing is a clever way to use thinner glass and safely reduce the weight and manufacturing cost of an aquarium

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I do find it impressive the power that silicon has

It's amazing stuff. Iirc the rtv103 or w/e is rated at 300some psi and can stretch 3 times it's size before tearing.

Even the crappy GE1 I use is likely to break the glass if I tried to pull 2 pieces apart. Leaving the original bead and glass together.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
The silicone handles all the forces of water in a glass tank. If it can hold a corner in the bottom of the tank it can hold a brace.

Im no structural engineer but basically
you can have thousands Of pounds of water in a Tank. but when you break it down to pounds per square inch and consider the load is distributed across the entire tank / stand - the numbers become less astrinomical.

The corners and sides are more robust than long unsupported expanses of glass spanning your viewing area like your front pane on a 6ft tank for example. There is more surface area for the water to push on and the glass can bow or flex some. Theres 2 ways around this. Use thicker glass, or brace the center.

Take an empty tank - push on the center brace, feel the flex? Now fill it with water, the brace will be tight.

More or less bracing is a clever way to use thinner glass and safely reduce the weight and manufacturing cost of an aquarium

Thanks for that explanation! Makes a lot more sense to me now!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
So what's the stock going to be? I take it you're going to have at least one Esox in there :)
Ohhhh yes hahaha both my pickerels are probably going in along with my pumpkin seed providing he isn't going to be mean haha

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
It's amazing stuff. Iirc the rtv103 or w/e is rated at 300some psi and can stretch 3 times it's size before tearing.

Even the crappy GE1 I use is likely to break the glass if I tried to pull 2 pieces apart. Leaving the original bead and glass together.

And you should see the bead of silicone around these glass panes. I'd feel safe whitewater rafting while hosting a wine tasting party in this thing.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Alot of older tanks didn't have center braces. I wouldnt sweat it. Ive seen old tanks in the realm of 200gal with no bracing. They used thicker glass back then.

If your super concerned call your LFS and order a new top trim piece, that is of course the thicker glass wont prevent that.

Maybe look for something with the same foot print but taller (which would utilize thicker glass) and order that trim. Guys at the LFS should know. Trim pieces are really inexpensive. Ive ordered a few before.

Call my lfs....? Why when my cunning wit and home depot are moments away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store